hal.dll is missing or corrupt, Win can't start

Annie

I can not start my computer again after I shut it down. It shows the message:

"Window could not start because the following file is missing or corupt:

<Windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll

please re-instal a copy of the above file"

I found some postings to fix it but I need to get to the Recovery Console. I have tried to get into the Recovery Console but it keeps assking me for the admistrator password. I did not create a password. Is there any other way to fix the problem?

Please, please help!!!!

Annie

insert your windows xp boot able cd in the drive first . restart the pc. Make the pc to boot from the cdrom. When the installation starts ., select repair option from installtion menu.

After that > select Recovery console

in the comand prompt screen type bootcfg /rebulilt that's it

insert your windows xp  boot able cd in the drive first . restart the pc. Make the pc to boot from the cdrom. When the installation starts ., select repair option from installtion menu.

After that > select  Recovery console

in the comand prompt screen type bootcfg /rebulilt  that's it

I did that but it asked for the Administror Password. I don't think I created one. Any other suggestion?

Thanks

insert your windows xp  boot able cd in the drive first . restart the pc. Make the pc to boot from the cdrom. When the installation starts ., select repair option from installtion menu.

After that > select  Recovery console

in the comand prompt screen type bootcfg /rebulilt  that's it

I did that but it asked for the Administror Password. I don't think I created one. Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

Blank the Administrator's password using that then try getting into the recovery console... ;)

I see that all the time. People give out their PC to friends for a re-install, and when the next guy comes around (me) and I need the Admin password from them, they look at me as if I just spawned before them, Doom 3 style.

I have plenty tools to reset the Admin Password. If you don't you have a problem.

Its true, however, when you do a Recovery it asks for the Admin password. I suggest you use the bootflop gamehead is referring to. The ERD package would be too big a download, and a trial at best.