Can' copy some dll's

dano

Hello All

I made a bootable CD of WIN XP SP2 using ISOBuster and Nero6. When I boot from the CD all appears to be going normally but then get 3 messages saying a dll cannot be copied ( UXTheme.dll, syssetup.dll, spc_os.dll ). I chose to skip all three and the installation completes.

First thing I notice is that there are no desktop icons ( I assume this has something to do with UXtheme.dll ). Once I get the default icons on the desktop everything else appears to work normally.

Can anyone let me know what these files are and why they don't install properly from the slipstreamed CD.

Thanks for all help

retry did not work. i have found some info on this by searching the forum but I am still confused. Most people reported this error when working with Beta versions of SP2.

I am using the final release ( network version ) and am geting these errors. This is not acceptable since it hangs the install

I had the same problem for the uxtheme.dll during installation of the SP2 on a XP already patched with the SP1 and having a patched uxtheme.dll for SP1

I extracted the UPDATESP2.exe file and put the uxtheme.dll inside the i386 folder to update it during and not to patch in cmdcons after the update

the update did not accept the patched one, I had to give him the original file (found in other folder (a copy before replacing it was a good idea))

I think the following:

the patched file of uxtheme.dll for the SP1 had the same size of the original

but in the SP2 it's not the same size

I explain

in SP1 the original was 203 264 octets and the patched too

in SP2 the original is 219 648 octets and the patched is 218 624 octets

so, i think that, during the setup, the SP2 checks the sizes its own files in the layout.inf file(under the ip folder for XP PRO or the ic folder for the XP HOME )

check it you'll see the size of the uxtheme.dll (expanded and not .dl_)

I think it see that your file does not comply with the size it waits for

maybe the same problem for the two other files?

by the way, after the SP2 update, the resulting uxtheme.dll was the SP1 one and not the SP2 one, It did not replace it, I had to put it under the CMDCONS

IF someone could confirm my idea or not it will be interresting

Re-doing the whole slipstreaming process and burning a new bootable CD cleared up the install hang for the three files I mentioned in my original post. Do I still want to replace the three files though with newer versions or patches. Still a bit confused about why I would need to replace these files if I am using the latest version of SP2