Help Needed with Win XP SP2 unattended DVD

I need some help debugging an unattended DVD for WinXPSP2.

First of all, the windows install goes flawless. However, after the setup wizard has finished, and the computer is rebooted I'm stoped by a message saying that windows will change the screen resolution and blah, blah, blah, even though I have the lines

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=32
   Xresolution=800
   YResolution=600
   Vrefresh=85

In my Winnt.sif file. Therefore the unattended DVD stops execution right there waiting for human input.

But that's not all. After this annoyance, I'm stopped again by the Help Protect Your PC page and every page after, including naming users.

I thought that this screen was bypassed by following the instructions for the files useraccounts.cmd and autologon.reg as per the unattended.msfn.org site (I tried a simple copy-paste in order to try) but the fact is that the install program still stops (as if no user had been previously defined). I included the line

Automaticupdate=Yes

in the Data section of the winnt.sif file, but i still behaves as if it wasn't there.

If someone can help me with this first, I will appreciate, coz It will speedup ENORMOUSLY the install.

The rest of my problems are with switches and silent modes and I'm still researching this forum looking for the answers I need.

On the display issue: could it be a function of your driver that you are installing?

For the other issue: did you remove everything from your GuiUnattended except

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=No

@edbro

I'm not installing any particular driver, just the windows default. I'm only testing the image file in a VMware virtual machine before burning into a DVD.

As for the GUIUnattended, no. I still have some info there. Does it really matter?

Here's the entire section:

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=*
   EncryptedAdminPassword=No
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=85
   OEMSkipWelcome=1

I thought the idea of the OEMSkipRegional and OEMSkipWelcome is precisely to SKIP those sections!

@aknott

Thanks for the link, but I had checked it before posting, and all it says (I think, regarding this matter) is to include the line Automaticupdates=1 like I posted originally. Or have I misundertood?

sorry but i missed to say something :

you must see the ref.chm inside the deploy.cab linked on this page

there is info in it about a oobeinfo.ini file for disabling the HELP PROTECT YOUR PC welcome screen

and a lot of more for the winnt.sif

I have to say I haven't tested it yet

• 11 months later...
I need some help debugging an unattended DVD for WinXPSP2.

First of all, the windows install goes flawless.  However, after the setup wizard has finished, and the computer is rebooted I'm stoped by a message saying that windows will change the screen resolution and blah, blah, blah,  even though I have the lines

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=32
   Xresolution=800
   YResolution=600
   Vrefresh=85

In my Winnt.sif file.  Therefore the unattended DVD stops execution right there waiting for human input.

But that's not all.  After this annoyance, I'm stopped again by the Help Protect Your PC page and every page after, including naming users.

I thought that this screen was bypassed by following the instructions for the files useraccounts.cmd and autologon.reg as per the unattended.msfn.org site (I tried a simple copy-paste in order to try) but the fact is that the install program still stops (as if no user had been previously defined).  I included the line

Automaticupdate=Yes

in the Data section of the winnt.sif file, but i still behaves as if it wasn't there.

If someone can help me with this first, I will appreciate, coz It will speedup ENORMOUSLY the install.

The rest of my problems are with switches and silent modes and I'm still researching this forum looking for the answers I need.

try AutomaticUpdates=Yes

you missed the final "s"

cheers

Hi, I have the same problem with the resolution thing not working properley. Like you, I use VMWare and get the same resoution check boxes come up, but when I install to a real hard disk I don't get the problem. I think it's something to do with VMWare.

I'm still getting the Protect My PC and Users pages displaying. but apparently you can't stop the PMP screen due to some 'Freedom of Choice' law.

Enough of my babble.

Good Luck.