can i make a silent install 4 office 2003 with -

Adiel

Hi,

why don't you try it the way I posted in another topic? Sure it involves modifying the MSI to get the right back to make an unattended install, but it gives you the benefit of using Office and the Custom Installation Wizard even on your edition of office 2003. And it makes a perfect silent install.

Regards,

l33t

Hey no problem dude,

here is a simpler explanation: An MSI file is basically specifies commands which taken together build an installation routine. There are two commands in the installation, which check the ability to silently install and run a transformed install. (There are of course more, but these are the only two which disturb you from reaching your silent install.)

The silent installation is our goal, however to reach it you must make a transform to "configure" office to install only the stuff you want. Now the only thing you need to do is turn the two "bad" commands off. This prevents the error message you were seeing in the first place and will allow the installation routine to continue.

All installation commands are listed in a table called "InstallExecuteSequence". You need an editor for MSI files, open the main MSI file for your Office installation. (It is named something like PRO11 or STD11...) Remove the two commands I listed in the other topic and thats it. Afterwards you can run the tutorial provided MSFN using the Custom Installation Wizard.

If you follow my last reply in the other topic on how to obtain Orca, you are all set to edit the file and have a silent install. You simply open Orca, tell it to open the office MSI file, choose the "InstallExecuteSequence" from the list on the left, find the "SkuredQuiet" entry, delete it and find the "SkuredCIW" entry and delete it. That's it.

Any more questions?

Regards,

l33t

If you have setup.ini on your CD, then you can. It's here: X:\FILES\SETUP\setup.ini

I'd like to post a how-to for that, but unfortunately, I don't have enough time. However, setup.ini is used with setup.exe but not with the MSI.

Hi mazin,

you do know that the setup.exe invokes the Office.MSI? And the Office.MSI performs a set of checks internally, e.g. checking for the /qn or similar switches to prevent silent installs according to SKU.

Basic process (as I understand it)

1. setup.exe invokes msiexec with the office.msi

2. office.msi installs setup runtime files and reads the SKU.xml file

3. user enters/setup.ini provides serial number

4. serial gets matched to an SKU edition

5. The MSI tests if a silent/transformed/... install is possible with the SKU

... and barfs if it isn't allowed to. Actually there are 7 (as I see it) checks made to determine if the current installation scenario is valid/allowed or not. I don't understand all of them yet, but these two were obvious.

The other question is: Is everything, which is controllable via the custom installation wizard also controllable by the setup.ini?

Regards,

l33t