Default User, Curent User and HCKU.

Hi all.

I have some issues regarding the Default User, Curent User and HCKU.

Everything is meant here only in context of one PC, not from machine to machine.

IS there any difference between

1) copying a profile through "startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user profiles/settings/COPY TO"

and

2) manually copying "profile files" from docs and settings from one profile to another profile, with maintaining appropriate user rights?

There are a few things I cannot do during Windows XP SETUP phase. Default User is not interactive during Windows SETUP (explorer does not run)

For example,

1) It is not possible to change ICON locations on the desktop;

2) If I install applications after XP setup finished, on the first boot, there are some, that install in per user mode.

All these new settings go to current account (not default user). But I want them for all profiles.Therefore I need to replicate these new settings once again to default user.

How can this be automated? Can somebody help scripting this in VBS please? Or is there any other, better method?

Is it possible to have some "wallpaper" over the top , when this would happen, in order to "stay away from keyboard untill finished" efect to user sitting in front of that?

The CHANGE button (for setting correct permisions) in PERMITTED TO USE section located in "startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user profiles/settings/COPY TO"

1) does work corectly when copying from

"c:\document and settings\profile-ONE" -> "c:\document and settings\profile-TWO"

2) does NOT work corectly when copying from

"c:\document and settings\profile-ONE" -> "c:\ANY OTHER FOLDER\profile-TWO"

(when I am creating a roaming profile)

ACLs, user rights screw up and it is not possible to log in it.

Am I right or Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your suggestions. :hello:

1) copying a profile through "startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user profiles/settings/COPY TO"

and

2) manually copying "profile files" from docs and settings from one profile to another profile, with maintaining appropriate user rights?

No there is no difference in this regard - however see further for some more information and things to consider here.
There are a few things I cannot do during Windows XP SETUP phase. Default User is not interactive during Windows SETUP (explorer does not run)

For example,

2) If I install applications after XP setup finished, on the first boot, there are some, that install in per user mode.

All these new settings go to current account (not default user). But I want them for all profiles.Therefore I need to replicate these new settings once again to default user.

How can this be automated? Can somebody help scripting this in VBS please? Or is  there any other, better method?

Is it possible to have some "wallpaper" over the top , when this would happen, in order to "stay away from keyboard untill finished" efect to user sitting in front of that?

The simple and correct solution for this requirement is to add your settings to the ALL USERS profile set. For example if you have desktop icons or shortcuts for the start menu add them in the ALL USERS directory structure. However one thing that will not work in this regard is adding shortcuts to the Quick Launch toolbar. for the Quick Launch Toolbar you will need to modify the default user profile. one method here Customizing the Default User Profile

No please be aware that copying the current user profile has problems as a solution because it stores absolute paths to things like my documents etc... so if for example you copy the administrator path to the default user - then when you open my documents from any profile you would end up in the administrators my documents folder - plus there are permissions issue with this also. The best solution is either a combination of both ALL USERS and DEFAULT USER profile or just DEFAULT USER.... my advise is to you the combination of both ALL USERS and DEFAULT USER profile.

Hope this information is helpful. :thumbup

Felix

and

Yes, there is a difference, first of all copying a profile through "startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user profiles/settings/COPY TO"

and make sure that everyone has rights (second option under copy to...) is the only way to preserve de default properties from the newly copied profile.

If you would simply manually copying "profile files" from docs and settings from one profile to another profile, with maintaining appropriate user rights? Then you maintain the user characteristics of that profile.

Let’s say that the users name is “user1” and you copy that manually to the default user directory then ntuser.dat will have references to “user1” not good cause programs and windows would look for settings and files under C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer instead of C:\Documents and Settings\New User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and so on.

If you copying a profile through "startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user1 profiles/settings/COPY TO" the “default user” then all references from “user1” are replaced.

For example,

How can this be automated? Can somebody help scripting this in VBS please? Or is  there any other, better method?

The CHANGE button (for setting correct permisions) in PERMITTED TO USE section located in "startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user profiles/settings/COPY TO"

1) does work corectly  when copying from

"c:\document and settings\profile-ONE"  ->  "c:\document and settings\profile-TWO"

2) does NOT work corectly  when copying from

"c:\document and settings\profile-ONE"  ->  "c:\ANY OTHER FOLDER\profile-TWO"

(when I am creating a roaming profile)

ACLs, user rights  screw up and it is not possible to log in it.

Am I right or Am I missing something here?

Look here for a quick How-To

The simple and correct solution for this requirement is to add your settings to the ALL USERS profile set.
How is this possible? I have never heard about this. As far as I know, ALL USERS is not a full-featured profile. It does not contain any "ntuser.dat" file contrary to Default User or some other, interactive accounts. How can it store registry settings then?
For example if you have desktop icons or shortcuts for the start menu add them in the ALL USERS directory structure.

My problem is not the icons themselves, but their position. Blame me for not being descriptive enough. :)

It is irelevant, where the icon is stored (ALL Users or Particular profile). Even if we have only one icon (something.lnk), located in ALL users, the location for this icon, is separatelly stored in every profile.

I am suspicious a bit and I think that the "icon location data" is not in the ntuser.dat at all.

Could it be the desktop.ini?

I must be logged on at least ONCE in order to place the icons where I want them. Then I must spread this location iinformation onto all profiles.

No please be aware that copying the current user profile has problems as a solution because it stores absolute paths to things like my documents etc... so if for example you copy the administrator path to the default user - then when you open my documents from any profile you would end up in the administrators my documents folder
This is not true (at least when using profile COPY-TO method in system/advanced/usr profiles/...). Do a test and see for yourself. The user's documents folder IS called "Administrator's Documents" but it NOT the same folder. It's just a folder with the same name. Furthermore it show's up with its logical name, not physical (could I say..), that is "User's Documents".
plus there are permissions issue with this also.

What exactly, do you have any more details on that?

Thanks for comments so far. :hello:

@Yonderboy

Please look and read my topic, it will clear some questions you have now.

link two answers higher...

No please be aware that copying the current user profile has problems as a solution because it stores absolute paths to things like my documents etc... so if for example you copy the administrator path to the default user - then when you open my documents from any profile you would end up in the administrators my documents folder

This is not true (at least when using profile COPY-TO method in system/advanced/usr profiles/...). Do a test and see for yourself. The user's documents folder IS called "Administrator's Documents" but it NOT the same folder. It's just a folder with the same name. Furthermore it show's up with its logical name, not physical (could I say..), that is "User's Documents".

This is true if you copy manual, not the case via the startmenu/control panel/system/advanced/user1 profiles/settings/COPY TO

I am suspicious a bit and I think that the "icon location data" is not in the ntuser.dat at all.

Could it be the desktop.ini?

I must be logged on at least ONCE in order to place the icons where I want them. Then I must spread this location iinformation onto all profiles.

Actually, icon locations are stored in ntuser.dat. Specifically, they are stored in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop].

See this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...arrange%22&st=0