Usigned monitor drivers.

sfamonkey

Hi. I have looked throught the post and did everything I could think of. My monitor driver will just not install. There unsigned has the topic says. Any advice? By the way I have Viewsonic A71f+

Search the Device Drivers subforum, there are several topics where it's been discussed! :)

Since your monitor's drivers are unsigned, and there's nothing special anyway in those, windows will just select generic drivers (which support your monitor) for installing during device detection. If you had a monitor which required a driver outside of what windows itself already had, then your unsigned drivers will be used.

The order of preference for auto-driver selection is like this:

1. Version

2. WHQL

3. Date of publishing

4. Publisher (whether MS or OEM-driver)

It means that in a conflict of available drivers, the factors above will be applied and the right driver (according to windows) will get prioritised and installed.

As per that list, if you provide an unsigned (un-WHQL'ed) driver of a higher version than Windows's own generic ones, that will be used. But you can' manipulate version numbering - it is defined by the INFs, SYS and DLLs that the driver needs.