Virtual Private Network (VPN)

tailhead

Ive tryed making a vpn by goin on to my network connections and making a new connection to my friend including his IP address. then i made another connection to accept VPN Access.

but when i try to log into his PC or vise versa it comes up with an error

hope u can help chris

I don't think you can setup a VPN server with JUST Windows XP. It lacks the proper Routing and Remote Access functionality of Win2k Server that is required for PPTP (VPN) connections. You can establish connections to servers running VPN access, but not create a VPN connection for others to connect to.

On another note, if anyone cares to offer an answer:

I thought about configuring my Win2k server to allow incoming VPN connections. I'd share that connection information with friends who could then connect and share LAN resources with me.

My question:

Anyone ever tried to play a LAN game over a VPN with players connected over the Internet? I think this might be a possible workaround to some of those games that normally require CD-key authentication before allowing you to play online (WC3, RTCW, etc.).

you can do a VPN with just XP, ive done it, it was painfully slow though, even with 512k line i had at the time, i also wanted to try the games idea out you have had lou!

but, it would only allow one user at a time for some reason, i didnt try do much with it so that might be changeable, once i found how slow it was i gave up.

please post the error you got, i got a lot of errors and headache doing this, then deleted the connection, set it up again from fresh and it worked.

we need the specific error number, and if you can any message that goes with it.

you can do a VPN with just XP, ive done it, it was painfully slow though, even with 512k line i had at the time, i also wanted to try the games idea out you have had lou!

but, it would only allow one user at a time for some reason, i didnt try do much with it so that might be changeable, once i found how slow it was i gave up.

please post the error you got, i got a lot of errors and headache doing this, then deleted the connection, set it up again from fresh and it worked.

we need the specific error number, and if you can any message that goes with it.

How did you setup XP as a VPN server? I've connected to the VPN at work from home using XP, but the server was Win2k, not XP.

It's easy to do under Win2k, but since I'm just running XP Pro, I don't see anywhere to setup a VPN server. :)

:) it is possible to make a vpn in xp as i read it somewhere before but when even people tlk about vpns or i ask no1 seems to know how i would go about it

if u could write some instructions if u know

thats how i did it.

i jus saw the option while poking about in network settings, didnt need a guide, but that one will help you get it going quickly by the quick read i had of it.

its not hard, getting it to work properly.. now thats another matter :)

i got it working after a few tries, but having 56k users connect was waaaaay to slow at both ends. also it will only allow one connection, and i couldnt figure how to allow more, it says something about maximum liscence or some poop.

creating multiple vpns doesent work either. i gave up.

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully setup a VPN connections on Windows NT4 Server and Windows 2000 Server, FthrJACK is right setting up a VPN in Windows XP is exceptionally slow as Windows XP lacks the protocols, but if you have .NET Server RC1 you can configure VPN without any issues.

On Windows NT4 and 2000 Server you can set up VPN using RAS and PPTP. Once successfully setup accessing your computer remotely is just like being on your own system.

There are many articles on http://support.microsoft.com on how to setup VPN servers. I tried the Windows XP to accept incoming connections through VPN and it struggled with my 1Mb Cable.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;q314076

Check for other articles at http://www.microsoft.com/technet