system folders

misskellibad1

Hey guys, the "miss" is back with yet another question for you computer GODS........

Before I re-installed xp I had access to certain folders.

I have gone to folder options and unchecked, but it still says access denied. Something I'm forgetting?

Thanks.

if you are talking about other users Folders in "Documents and settings" , if the user set specific permissions of other users not being able to access their "personal" folder, then you are out of luck unless you ask the person :)

Blackwar

No-Only the system volume folder-it's grayed out.

by the way-I'm the only one with rights to this computer-I see what you mean, windows was hidden, now everything opens except that folder I mentioned.

I read about enabling rights on the microsoft site but it doesn't apply to me I guess because I can't take the steps they suggest.

No-Only the system volume folder-it's grayed out.

by the way-I'm the only one with rights to this computer-I see what you mean, windows was hidden, now everything opens except that folder I mentioned.

I read about enabling rights on the microsoft site but it doesn't apply to me I guess because I can't take the steps they suggest.

You've recently reinstalled XP and formatted your partition NTFS instead of FAT32.

NTFS includes security options to disallow access to certain directories. The "System Volume Information" in the root of all drives is one such directory. In order to access you need to add rights for Adminstrators.

1. Right click the directory -> Properties

2. Security -> Add

3. Types "Administrators" in the "Enter the object names to select" box, -> OK

4. Highlight "Administrators" and click "Allow" next to "Full Control" under "Permissions for Adminstrators"

5. Click OK

You should now have access to "System Volume Information" and all the stuff in it.

:):rolleyes::D:D:D:rolleyes:

****. Good answer Lou. I checked everything I could think of - but every system I have - I have access to that folder. Never had to enable it.

Isn't "Miss..." lucky that somone other than XPerties read her post and knew the answer. HEHEHEHE

LS

You guys are extreeemely witty today, but maybe I do need the XPertiser to answer this one after all. haha

You see, before I post I try to find s*** out for myself and I read that too from microsoft. Problem is I do not have a security tab and the option for simple file sharing is missing too. I also read something about assigning hidden attributes-but os course that's for the experts-not me.

Thanks anyways you funny guys!

XPertise WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUUUUUU?

HAHAHA

Problem is I do not have a security tab and the option for simple file sharing is missing too.

Ok, so it's NOT NTFS..

1. In Explorer, Tools -> Folder Options

2. "View" tab, under "Advanced Settings:" uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and check the radio button next to "Show hidden files and folders"

3. Look at the last option under "Advanced Settings:" which is "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" - that's where the option is set. While Microsoft recommends enabling it, it is better for security to leave it disabled.

4. Click OK

See if it gives you access to "System Volume Information."

misskellibad1- sorry I havent been able to answer but I think your in good hands with LouCypher...Hes a top god of computer answer when it comes to helping out. Ive been working on my own stuff. Try what he says out and if I get a chance Ill check back.

-Xperties

I re-installed to the letter (XPertie's advice)and yes I chose NTFS.

Lou-I tried your suggestion but I don't have those options.

Other folders are grayed out too (recycler, and wu temp), but I can access them.

Any new suggestions?

BTW, XPerties, checked out your site-cool topics-looks fun- a little hard on the retinas-might see me there, just don't want anyone to think I'm sweet on ya..... hahaha

Just thought I'd let you know I figured it out for myself.

I went into safe mode and changed the permissions.

I guess I wasn't logged on as administrator as LS suggested. I assumed I was as I control what goes on with this computer.

Thanks for your help anyway, I really appreciate it.

I just don't understand why I didn't have this problem before-I never changed anything-I'll blame it on my brother too I guess. haha