Modifying XPCREATE.CMD

jsposato

GM-

Do you have a problem with modifying XPCREATE.CMD for the purpose of debugging? I have added pause statements in the past to stop execution so I can look at the directories at certain times. However, if you don't want us to do that, then I will stop. I just like to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong myself so I don't have to bombard the forum with messages.

Thanks

Hmmm ... what does the EULA say?

I must say, I don't really see how that will help. The directories needed by the user are SPACKS, and SVC-*, and what goes there is outlined on the Web Site. There are not that many choices where to put files, nor that many files you could (should) add, and these are ONLY the MS hotfixes. In terms of additional, user specific files, you should integrate these files in the standard unattended manner. The trouble begins when you try to use tools for purposes that they are not intended for: XPCREATE can integrate most hotfixes fine, and those that it cannot are well documented (e.g. 817778). It was not meant to be the Total unattended CD answer. I must repeat myself: make the failsafe CD (that should ALWAYS work), and then add your modifications. In this way, all you need to debug are your own additions, which are simply copied to the CD by XPCREATE, and not integrated in any way.

I understand. And thank you very much for XPCREATE. I estimate that this tool, combined with unattended installs, will save my department around 300 man hours this year!

What an awesome thing indeed!

are you sure you read the license?

LICENSING

The software is either licensed as "freeware" or "shareware", depending on the environment it is used.

The software is "freeware" for: home users (using the computers for personal hobby or recreational use); government controlled education institutions; non-profit organizations; charity organizations; public libraries. The term "freeware" means, you are allowed to use the software at no cost. It is not necessary to purchase a license for it.

If your environment does not fit in the noted environments, you are considered a commercial institution and the software is licensed to you as "shareware". The term "shareware" means, you can test the software for up to 7 days after which you must purchase a license for it or stop using the software and remove it from your storage device(s). During this test phase you may install the software on one test computer. All media produced by the software, either on internal or external hard disk drives of removable storage media, may susequently be tested on one additional computer, or unlimited emulated, or virtual, computers. Under no conditions may either the software, or the media and files produced by the software, be stored or accessed on networked file servers, or be made available to other networked computers.

Alrighty then. There are those people who do work for an IT department for a company that doesn't fall into that category, but use the program anyway.....just making sure :)

And then there are the people that don't read the license to being with....

now if only I had a job, where this was my job :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be cool?! If you had a nickel for every post you made...lol

It's strange how people can completely ignore the fact that hard work goes into tools like this. Once I show my department how much time this saves, I'm going to try and lobby for a payment to GM to support his efforts.