Username cannot = PC name

rustycaps

This is what I got when going through a basic setup of XP SP1 yesterday on a system I had changed around a bit so had to reinstall. The weird thing is that my username on this PC is the same as the PC name and I haven't had any errors any time I've set it up previously, though it's usually done via unattended mode, and another odd thing is that I can logon with the PC name as the username, yet when the drive mapping batch file runs it doesn't work as it must actually logon as rusty (PC name is rustymm in this case) instead of rustymm. I have the same username as PC name on the file server too (though it's running 2k), without any problems.

In case you're wondering why I use the PC name for the logon - it's to make it easier to do the accounts on the shares on the file server, as I only have to add the 2 PCs, and not have to worry about actual users.

As far as I know having the same user name as the PC name will not and cannot work.

The fact that you have done this is interesting but it should not work, ever. I’m surprised by doing this you haven’t’ had all kinds of network and PC problems (or maybe you have).

My advice would be to set it up properly by using different names for user and PC on the same PC.

i agree with what ge0ph said.. u will only run into problems down the line

u could do something like

RUSTY_PC as the pcname

RUSTY_ADMIN as the username :) will avoid tons of probs down the road

THis is entirely possible to do and quite common in many businesses, naming a machine after the user. XP is the first windows OS to try and prevent this. Once you have the machine set up and your users created then change the computer anme to the desired name and reboot. You can't create user with name of computer but you can the other way around.

I think I've done it that since not long after I started using the unattended method - using that NetUser tool to rename the default Administrator account to the PC name. The only possible problems have been with network mapping, and drives coming up as disconnected, but working when clicked on (yes, I've seen this mentioned everywhere, but no real solution).

I'll probably just change the PC name to something different, to save me changing the user accounts on the server. I won't just yet, as XPSP2 is apparently due out soon, so I'll edit winnt.sif accordingly and redo both boxes properly.