ICS, and file transfer between 2 local computer

ICS, and file transfer between 2 local computer

1. Should I use the ICS, or another third-party program. Which is better?

And is there any recommendation of this type of third-party program?

2. How can I transfer files from my one computer to my another computer (apart from "thorugh

Internet", or "through CD")?

I get:

- 1 straight cable is linked from ASDL modem to LAN No.1 in my host computer

- 1 cross-over cable is linked from LAN No.2 (in host computer) to my client computer

What do I need to set?

What software do I need to install?

ICS stands for InternetConnectionSharing - meaning it can share your internet connection through a host PC, so i'm not sure this is what your after.

You can use something called Laplink which uses a nullmodem serial cable to link 2 PC's and then transfer files, or as you suggest

2xNIC and 1x crossover cable, set both PC's in the same workgroup and with a sequential IP address, eg; 192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2 and with a subnet of 255.255.255.000 and from within network neighborhoood they should see each other.

If your folders are shared then you can transfer files

Hope that helps a little

He will need ICS for letting the client PC access the internet, which it sounds like he wants.

The setup you describe is fine. On the LAN#1, click properties/advanced and enable ICS. This should set the ip of LAN#2 to 192.168.0.1. On the client side you can either setup the ip as static, or leave it dynamic. Both should be able to connect to the internet.

Set up some shares, and they should see each other.

Hi.

2 questions are a bit unrelated. The first one is just ask whether I should use ICS or others. The second is about file transfer.

If I use "2xNIC and 1x crossover cable", do I need to connect to the Internet first before I can transfer files? I encountered some problems:

- to access I was told there's no permission to do so. How to do?

- I needed to connect to the Internet before I can see my neigbourhood. Is there any way not to connect to the Internet and I can see my other computers too

If you want to transfer file, both PCs must have IP addresses first.

This is why you must connect to Internet and then the file transfer can go. (ICS will give your client an IP address.)

If you are using PPPoE, and ISP allows multiple PPPoE connections at the same time. Adding a hub and set a fixed IP address on both PCs(as oioldman said)will be fine.