Getting Bluescreen

kmf

All of the sudden my computer crashes and it flashes the bluescreen and restarts when I run my Norton Antivirus 2004. I had both of these programs installed for months without any issues prior to today.

It happens when it scans my Adobe 6.0 Pro files in the Common Files folder. If I try to uninstall the Adobe the computer crashes just the same. I went in and manually deleted the Adobe files from the Common Files folder and then went and removed it and everything went fine.

I did a virus scan and everything was fine. I re-installed Adobe and the computer crashed again when doing the virus scan.

Any ideas?

What's the blue screen message?

to stop the rebooting right click my computer and select properties, click advanced tab, click settings button for Startup and Recovery, removed check for Automatically Restart.

It will then stay on the blue screen until you manually reboot or shut off. That way you can read the error screen.

To me it sounds like a possible bad sector on the hard drive.

thats caused from memory errors, maybe a faulty stick of memory?

ive got that same error message when using firefox , so i dont use it anymore, maybe u could use another browser instead of that?

its possible that 1 of your programs has a memory leak?

regards

well, u could start by turning off ALL Programs from startup, and only using 1 or 2 things at a time, & if that still happens, u could not use 1 of the programs? basically a trial & error

as for faulty sticks of ram, u or someone u know thats good with computers, can pull out 1 stick of ram (if u have more then 1) & test it, see if you get errors with only 1 stick of ram?

did u install anything new b4 u got this error?

To me it sounds like a possible bad sector on the hard drive.

I think that is what the problem is.

I did a scan disk and it comes up with some bad sectors I believe. The results are only flashed up there for a second. Is there anyway to pause the computer from restarting right away after doing a scan disk?

And if that is the problem what is the best way to fix it?

run chkdsk from then command console when booted from the xp cd, if it still reboots my only other suggestion is to put it in a system as a secondary drive and run chkdsk from the other systems os.

run chkdsk from then command console when booted from the xp cd, if it still reboots my only other suggestion is to put it in a system as a secondary drive and run chkdsk from the other systems os.

I did chkdsk /p and it ran the entire test without restarting but it did say that the volume had one or more errors.

I did a scan disk and it comes up with some bad sectors I believe. The results are only flashed up there for a second. Is there anyway to pause the computer from restarting right away after doing a scan disk?

Try the pause/break key above "page up." You'll have to be fast to push it, but it should eliminate the need for superhuman reading skills.

Best of luck,

Phy

Try the pause/break key above "page up." You'll have to be fast to push it, but it should eliminate the need for superhuman reading skills.

Best of luck,

Phy

I tried that and it did not seem to work.