Worlds largest diamond unearthed in Guinea

utln

THERE'S lucky: Finding a diamond when you're a young miner sweating it out in the west African forests of Guinea.

And then there's too lucky: finding a 182-carat stone that everyone - starting with the government of Guinea - wants a piece of.

Result: the stone, four times the size of the famous Hope diamond, was tucked away today deep in the vaults of Guinea's Central Bank. No pictures, please.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,405...5^13762,00.html

Result: the stone, four times the size of the famous Hope diamond, was tucked away today deep in the vaults of Guinea's Central Bank.

What I'd like to know, is if the poor miner was compensated anything at all by the government. :-|

If anyone ever promises you the sun, the moon and the stars, just say “no thanks” and tell them you’d rather have BPM 37093.

Actually I wouldn't have the BPM 37093 considering that the surface temperature could be anywhere from 6,000 degrees kelvin to 100,000 degrees kelvin, and even if it were the diamond alone, the gravitational pull would squash me against the extremely hard surface. But then again, I guess it's better than the sun, which just has a stupid iron core. However, I wouldn't get as much energy or light from the BPM 37093 (it's brightness would be about .01 times that of the sun) as I would from the sun. As long as the person doesn't promise me a neutron star, I should be ok (100,000,000,000 g's, 1,000,000 degrees kelvin, 1,000,000,000,000 gauss magnetic field, rotating at about 100 times per second).

P.S. For some reason, some sites say that the diamond in the BPM 37093 is 10^46 carats while others say it is 10^34 carats.

I read some articles where they use plasma and extreme pressure to manufacture flawless diamonds (not cubic zirconia) by the brick. They plan on using it in the next generation of computer chips replacing silicon. That should blow out the diamond industry.

I read some articles where they use plasma and extreme pressure to manufacture flawless diamonds (not cubic zirconia) by the brick.  They plan on using it in the next generation of computer chips replacing silicon.  That should blow out the diamond industry.

That is a frightening thought indeed, if you were investing in buying/selling diamonds.

Also, the facts posted by Tokugawapants above are interesting, I should say!