Explorer won't refresh

ArmyDoc

I'm having a problem with WinXP expolrer; it has always worked fine until a few weeks ago.

The problem is this: The Explorer window will not refresh it's contents when -for instance- a CD or DVD is changed. So, in a single Windows session, I will always see the exact same file info on my DVD +/- RW and DVD-Rom drives. Pressing F5 doesn't help, closing and restarting explorer neither. The only thing that works is to close Windows completely and rebooting (simply logging off and on again does not help). But only if I remember to change CDs before the restart.

I haven't experienced this problem when creating new files or folders, or when copying or moving files.

Recently I have installed a Linux/Samba file server on my LAN, which works fine, even on WinXP; the only other system related activity has been the insertion of a few reg-tweaks, but nothing that explains this problem really (at least, I don't think so... :) )

Hey Maverick, fancy seeing you here! :)

So, did you do anything in particular or is it like a sort of spontaneous phenomenon of some sort?

Also, the info on the patch mentioned (in VERY vague terms) processes that may interfere with autorun; no specifics were given. Anybody has any idea which processes these might be?

I thought I had checked everything, including autorun - TweakUI and explorer both had it labeled as enabled, so I didn't think that could be it. Since nothing else seem to help I checked my registry settings, et voilá, autorun set to 0 in HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/cdrom.

Changed it to 1 and everything works fine.

I also double-checked my reg tweaks file - big OOPS... Seems I've been a little too triggerhappy using cut & paste, the tweak was in the middle of the file. :rolleyes::D:)

Thanks guys.