Ado connection to SQL Server

jeffwitt41

All,

Has anyone gotten the ADO part to work in WinPE? I am using MS WinPE version 1.2 I ran the buildoptionalcomponents.vbs script to build the optional components ado, wsh and hta. Both the wsh and hta work just fine but when I run the testado.vbs script I get an error Could not locate automation class named "ADODB.Connection" Code: 80020009 Source Wscript.Createobject.

I have recompiled the source code many times in just about all the permutations I could think of and I still get this error. Has anyone gotten this message and resolved it?

Jeff

I have gotten the ADO to work in PE, and actually connect but I have never received that error. Sorry not much of help. But sometimes I have to recopy the files from the OPK disk to the test machine in order to get certain aspects back to normal for ecample the biggest things that get farked are the hives for me atleast.

Thanks Liquid,

I have reloaded the source code several times also. However, I do not have access to the original media. Perhaps that is what I need to use. I have also run in to the problem of the hives getting farked. This gives me encouragement that is it not a problem with the configuration. Thanks!

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have almost the same problem, i am working on an windows deployment system that users can operate themselves, after Windows PE is booted an hta app is launched wich connect's to a sql server and fetches the possible options and puts them in a pull down menu, after the user has made a selection a new pull down menu is created using again a sql query on the server. I have tesed it on a windows XP - windows 2003 server combination and it worked great. But when i run the script on Windows PE the pull down menu's are missing. Becouse Windows PE does't have a debugging feature installed, i cannot see what went wrong.

I contacted Ms about this on ther system buider newsgroup site. Someone from Microsoft helped me and mailed me a new version of the 'buildoptionalcomponents.vbs' file but that did't help much. finally he send me the following:

---

Hi Koen:

I spoke with dev. about your problem, and apparently there is bug with using HTA and ADO directly. Unfortunately, they have not been able to find the root-cause of the problem.

Their suggestion was to write a VB or C++ application which displays the UI that you want, and then query the SQL server using the ADO components; That's the only way around the problem at the current time.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for tho :(

---

Nice huh, lets wait for an updated version of Windows PE... :}

Gr, Koen.