sHELL32.dll (!) unattended install problem

Mjello,

first post here, whopee!

Now, before anyone starts asking me to search the forum for answers, because this subject is discussed several places, please don't...

I've looked everything through, been lurking the site for months, everything's going well too... I have my XP cd install drivers, hotfixes & updates, software, themes, wallpaper etc etc etc... But the icons are driving me nuts...

PROBLEM >>> What I'm trying to do is use a custom shell32.dll file, I did as the tutorials told me to, deleted the original file, made a .cab file of my 'modded' shell32.dll file (PE'd it too), and put it into to the I386 folder...

BUT, when I install XP (using VMWare), nada, the icons don't show... It's the original shell32.dll file(!!!)... I deleted the file from the I386 folder and replaced it with my own, how can it still be there?!?

If anyone has any thoughts on what went wrong, please give it a shot...

PS: I was thinking WFP trouble, but then it would b***h during the install process, right? Which it doesn't... =/

• 1 year later...
:( hey dear friend i have got the same problem that i use a custom shell32.dll but after integrating the updates it replace my shell32.dll to windows original i had made my own shell32.dll by replacing all the icons in the windows original shell32.dll file with reshack and resource hacker when windows installation was in its gui setup mode my shell32.dll was still in the window sys32 folder even when windows setup removes unnecssary files and temporary files which was at 1 minute left to finish windows setup after reboot and first logon the file was replaced with windows original shell32.dll from the updates i have got the update that is changing the shell32.dll is KB900725 which was of about remote code execution in windows shell may cause some problem xyz.. now if i remove this update from being installing the thing is ok but i want this update because you must know it that this update also going to change the windows xp sp2 to windows xp sp3 in your system properties after windows is installed. so any one there know what to do. i have searched alot on the net before but cant got any suggestion i have some thing in my mind that if i copy the shell32.dll in windows xp text setup to another folder in dllcache so is windows use to replace the file in system32 with this please answer me or any suggestion to replace it.

thanks