Uninstall IE on XP

Moe

I tried to uninstall IE by going to Add or Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components. Xp said it removed IE, but when I clicked on a shortcut link on my desktop IE opened up to the site.

I searched Microsoft's site, this site, as well as a few others, but cannot find anything on this.

I want to completely uninstall Internet Explorer from my computer for once and for all. And is there any way to verify that IE is uninstalled?

Thanks

Also, is there a way to install XP without installing IE?

I believe the add/remove programs just removes the links from the Start Menu.

As far as I know you can't uninstall IE6 completely from Windows XP as it is now built into the native windows code.

I believe the add/remove programs just removes the links from the Start Menu.

As far as I know you can't uninstall IE6 completely from Windows XP as it is now built into the native windows code.

true.... i think nuhi better could remove that option because it occurs too much problems/questions/topics....

it isnt possible without any problems, and you always still have the need of IE (for example windowsupdate)....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;q293907

Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled by default in all versions of Windows XP. To provide computer manufacturers greater flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to ensure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.

I wanted to remove IE from my computer because of all the security issues (and use another browser). Are there any security issues if IE is still on your computer, but do not use it?

I wanted to remove IE from my computer because of all the security issues (and use another browser). Are there any security issues if IE is still on your computer, but do not use it?

LOL! read this first before u talk further....

July 09, 2004

Mozilla Foundation has confirmed that their Web browsers Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird have a security flaw.

text

Do I assume that the "IEAccess=Off" line goes withn the [Components} section

"For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file,"

Though if wrong, where does it go please.

Thanks

Do I assume that the "IEAccess=Off" line goes within the [Components] section?

That's right - that's where it goes.

Remember, simply disabling IE alone is no help. OE uses (large chunks of) the same engine that IE does, and is an even bigger security hole than the browser. I'd say disable IE, and OE as well - there's enough numbers of alternatives available.

Do I assume that the "IEAccess=Off" line goes within the [Components] section?

That's right - that's where it goes.

Remember, simply disabling IE alone is no help. OE uses (large chunks of) the same engine that IE does, and is an even bigger security hole than the browser. I'd say disable IE, and OE as well - there's enough numbers of alternatives available.

To everything: that's correct!

Try the combination FireFox and ThunderBird, it works great :) !

July 09, 2004

Mozilla Foundation has confirmed that their Web browsers Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird have a security flaw.

text

Actually, the security flaw is a problem in XP. Mozilla programmers just took the steps necessary with the update to prevent that particular exploit. And besides, no program is 100% bug free.

July 09, 2004

text

Actually, the security flaw is a problem in XP. Mozilla programmers just took the steps necessary with the update to prevent that particular exploit. And besides, no program is 100% bug free.

true, that is what i try to point now.... :)

What is OE? Outlook Express? Can I completely uninstall OE? Or only disable it like IE?

Will disabling IE and OE take care of the security issues?

Also, how can I (completely) uninstall WMP?

What is OE? Outlook Express?

Yes.

Can I completely uninstall OE? Or only disable it like IE?

Will disabling IE and OE take care of the security issues?

IE, OE, and WMP can only be disabled. That is sufficient to take care of the security issues - if you don't ever again turn back towards these apps.
Also, how can I (completely) uninstall WMP?
If you want to completely un-bundle IE, OE, WMP, MovieMaker, etc. from windows, check out the tool 'nLite' on the MSFN forums.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out I cannot use Norton Antivirus Live update with IE uninstalled thru the Add/Remove Windows Components in the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.