quotation format for infs

I did some reading and I saw a post by webmedic I believe.

I know that I put quotes around the beginning and end of the data value (just after the last comma). What I am not sure about is with the install shield installers that are the frontend for msi installs.

If we used a cmd file to add reg settings to RunOnceEx we had to use \" for every comma except the first and last. When I test my inf file I didn't get the right output.

My question is, do I have to do this (the /") for infs also or just one at the beginning and at the end.

Ex:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0070",,,"Sun Java VM 1.4.2.03"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0070",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\common\sunjava\j2re14203.exe /S /v\"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1\""

or:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0070",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\common\sunjava\j2re14203.exe /S /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1""

or:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0070",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\common\sunjava\j2re14203.exe /S /v/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1\"

Me personally, I think the 2nd one is right, but if an inf expert could give some input, that would be appreciated.

Thanks

]Bonkers[

Ok,

I did some little testing and I can't get it to look how I want.

This is how it should be displayed in the registry:

C:\installs\common\sunjava\j2re14203.exe /S /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1"
(with the quotes and all).

I have tried using just " and then \" and then combinations, but I still can't get it. If someone who uses an inf knows the format of how to get it to import to the registry properly could let me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

]Bonkers[

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0070",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\common\sunjava\j2re14203.exe /S /v\"/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1\""

should be

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0070",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\common\sunjava\j2re14203.exe /S /v"""/qn ADDLOCAL=jrecore IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1""""

Thanks Alanoll. One question though. What is the idea behind it. For example, with the cmds the idea was (from the msfn guide)

You will find that if you add additional " " quotation marks in the REG ADD entries, it won't be imported to the Windows Registry. To work around this, use a backslash \" for every quotation you intend to add, for example:

So anytime we had to use a quote inside of a quote we just went /". I don't really understand why there are 3 quotes.

Could you possibly do another example that might help explain the idea. (this was from my cmd file):

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0101",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\apc\setup.exe -s -f1\"%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\apc\setup.iss\""

So would this be:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0101",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\apc\setup.exe -s -f1"""%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\apc\setup.iss""""

?

Thanks

]Bonkers[

Thanks alanoll for all your help. I understand now (at least I believe) as to how the syntax works. I will try and explain it as best as I can incase anyone else needs this information. (alanoll or anyone else, if I am wrong, PLEASE correct to prevent others from skrewing up).

The first " is ok and doesn't need anything special. The second one needs to have two before it. So basically, / = "" in this case. Keep doing this until the last one. Here is where it gets different. Count all the quotes (ignore the "" because they are just basically equal to a /). Now, for the last quotes which closes everything off, you put down "" plus quotes to close of the ones you counted.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't really make sense, look at the examples from alanoll above.

]Bonkers[

Well, looks like my explaination doesn't work.

I can't seem to figure out this one:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0130",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\vmware\VMware Workstation.msi /qn USERNAME=bob SERIALNUMBER="""aaaaa-bbbbb-ccccc-dddd""" REBOOT=ReallySuppress"""

I think I need an explaination :)

Thanks

]Bonkers[

lol.....

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0130",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\vmware\VMware Workstation.msi /qn USERNAME=bob SERIALNUMBER="""aaaaa-bbbbb-ccccc-dddd""" REBOOT=ReallySuppress"""

should be

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0130",1,,"%systemdrive%\installs\desktop\vmware\VMware Workstation.msi /qn USERNAME=bob SERIALNUMBER="""aaaaa-bbbbb-ccccc-dddd""" REBOOT=ReallySuppress"

Think of it this way....

you have a RunOnceEX like so...

some.exe /s /v\"/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS\"

or in Batch

some.exe /s /v"/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS"

in INF it would become

some.exe /s /v"""/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS"""

When there are interior quotes like above, you use two additional quotes ("") to make it ("""). Now say your line is surrounded by quotes in the INF to denote a string to import (in a normal INF statement, just after declaring what type of value it is)

so instead of

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0101",1,,"some.exe /s /v"/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS""

which is improper INF syntax, as there are embedded (interior) quotes, you would replace the embedded quotes with """ so it would become

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0101",1,,"some.exe /s /v"""/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS""""

Help any?

I've found that when there are interior quotes like above, one additional quote (") to make it ("") is good enough and I've seen this done in the old win95 powertoys infs.

For example,

Command line ie. batch

some.exe /s /v"/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS"

When using runonceex throught reg add

some.exe /s /v\"/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS\"

When using inf

some.exe /s /v""/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS""

This syntax is inside the quotes which denotes it as a string.

Hence,

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0101",1,,"some.exe /s /v""/qn REBOOT=SUPRESS"""