firefox extensions

Hello,

I install firefox 0.9.2 using the mozilla setup.exe trick. I always download a couple extensions to add some features to firefox. I was wondering if someone knows how to install extensions without going to the firefox extensions site and download/install from there. Does this also work for themes? If not, any ideas on that one?

Thanks

]Bonkers[

This is not really an Unattended Windows topic, but I did was this:

Installed Firefox using the setup to install to another drive. Then, I exported the registry key that points to the plugins directory. I installed all of the extensions and themes I need using the default Firefox profile.

Thus, if I needed to reinstall my OS, Firefox is on another drive, already configured.

I know that I can copy the profile directory (C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.cua), but I don't want all of that stuff. I just would like say one or two extensions plus a theme. I don't really understand how firefox stores this stuff. ie which files hold this information. I don't mind copying over say a theme or extension, but how does firefox know it is there? Does it register it in the registry or ... ? I am not sure if I am being clear enough. One last try.

I see a folder called extensions in my profile, but will copying that over be enough or do I have to modify a config file somewhere to let firefox know what I did.

Thanks

]Bonkers[

Most of the extensions create/modify several files in the profile folders. Just copying the extensions folder is not enough.

There doesn't seem to be an elegant way to distribute extensions with firefox. Mozilla has a command line switch to install extensions but that's missing in firefox afaik.

Hum...

I'm looking to the config.ini fom Firefox (0.9.2) and there is sections for components:

[Component ADT]

Description Short=Outils de développement

;*** LOCALIZE ME BABY ***

Description Long=Outils pour les développeurs web, comprenant une console d'erreurs, l'inspecteur de documents et un débogueur JavaScript.

Archive=adt.xpi

Install Size=1089

Install Size System=0

Attributes=FORCE_UPGRADE|VISIBLE

;Force Upgrade File0=[sETUP PATH]\chrome\venkman.jar

Force Upgrade File0=[sETUP PATH]\chrome\inspector.jar

FileCount=7

I'll try to add manually an extension...

In each separate extension folder, there is a script name install.js. I would guess that would need to be executed sometime after copying the extensions folder.

Since V .9, the profiles are in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Firefox\Profiles.

Edit: Well I see that they changed the location of the profiles directory with 0.9.2. I originally had my profile directory compressed into a 7zip sfx. I downloaded FF 0.9.2 and it seems the profile directory is back in Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. The contents of that directory are slightly different as well. Have to redo it now. :)

Hum... I wasn't able to include extensions in the config.ini file... The setup always crashed. If someone got it to work...

I found those interesting sites:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ex...ineoptions.html

The command lines doesnt seems to work... any idea?

The last line of this site:

http://www.bengoodger.com/software/mb/exte...extensions.html

say that the "-install-global-extension" command line should work. It seems to. I was able to install adBlock (0.5.2+ d2 n39) and SessionSaver (0.2 d2 n23 pass2) sucessfuly. TextZoom (v1.5.1) was poping up some message boxes until I set a default zoom, and was working perfectly after. SwitchProxy (v1.0) didn't work at all. Maybe because they were installed in the program directory and not in the profile...