External / Internal DNS 2003 Server STD Edition

Hello Everyone :)

I need to setup external DNS for our university as a test moving our current DNS from NT4 to 2003. If all goes well the 2003 box will replace NT4.

I'm not that familiar with the relationship between External DNS and internal DNS and would appreciate if someone could give some "best practices" and how these 2 work together as well as some info on setting this up.

I’ve been looking for documentation all over the net to clear up this issue but I haven't been able to find anything solid yet.

From what I’ve been able to gather some recommend that your external DNS be outside your Firewall (in our case Border manager) others not because it's Microsoft DNS, are there any advantages for having it outside the firewall as opposed to behind?

Thank You

Minus Human

Is the server for WEB Hosting, or network access? Is this the only server on the network with DNS?

If you are just setting up an authentication server, then it should be inside the firewall. All the workstations should then use that server for the DNS resolution.

Then all you need is the DNS forwarders configured

Hope this is of some help...

If your moving a domain from NT4 to a 2000/2003 domain you sure do need DNS - active directory relies heavily on it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by external and internal DNS. You might configure an external DNS server to provide DNS resolution for certain services such as www, however most ISPs will provide this for you I believe. If you did host an external DNS server then you'd probably want it outside the firewall.

If your DNS server is actually being used to provide the internal DNS resolution required by AD then you'd want that internal and hidden well away from the internet.

Hope this helps