Convert Win2000 Retail into OEM?

nope its ligit, i have the holographic cd with COA and manual... i am building myself another computer and i didnt want to buy another 2000 CD/Key because that runs about $220... I can buy OEM Keys for about $50 and i never saw anything about microsoft saying that i cannot use OEM keys with a retail cd...

Anyways im just trying to save some cash here...

AND i am unwilling to use my 2000 key on 2 computers so if there isnt a way i guess i could always buy a OEM cd right...

I think i quilfy...

I do build systems and sell them... only about 1 a month but dont think that matters...

I think the keys are set up specifically for the type of install. I know I can't use an upgrade key with a retail version or an MSDN version. The installation seems to know what kind it is. Give it a try. If it doesn't work, get the OEM version.

:) Sorry the link is no longer there.

Basically what it does is remove the CD Key requirement for Windows 2000.

1st Copy the W2000 CD to the hard drive since changes can't be made on the CD. Find the setupp.ini file in the i386 directory. Change the file properties of the setupp.ini so it is NOT read-only. Open the setupp.ini file in Notepad. It should only be three lines. Edit the last line so that it reads "Pid=51873270". Save the file and close Notepad. Change the file properties back to read-only again. Now burn a bootable CD (don't forget to get the w2k.bin file from the internet) using the folder that you copied your original CD to. This CD is now booting and you will not be prompted for a key. You can also slipstream Service Pack 4 into this i386 before burning a bootable CD.