Customizing the Classic Start Menu

Bachus

I've been doing a wee bit of editing of the classic start menu with Resource Hacker, and I've just about got everything the way I want it but there is one tiny detail that really, really annoys me. The "classic" menu in XP has Search as a submenu with "For Files or Folders" and "On the Internet" as items within that menu. What I want to accomplish is to remove the submenu completely and instead have the "Search" item in the Start Menu immediately start the "For Files or Folders" action. The "normal" XP start menu has this desired behavior with the Search button, but I can't figure out how to get the Classic menu to do it. Does anyone know what files control the normal XP Start Menu? I reshacked explorer.exe to modify the classic menu as I like, but the only information I've found in regards to the normal Start Menu there are a few strings, which isn't all too helpful. :) Hopefully someone else here has been as anal-retentive as I am now in regards to this and can help me out a little. :D

Oh, and if this has been covered before, sorry. I haven't yet found anything using the forum search. :rolleyes:

I believe u don't even have to use resource hacker

I think its just done with a simple reg tweak...

but come to think about it it removes all the search menu along with its sub menus..

anyways u can remove the search function and on the desktop press F3 to search...

Its in Shell32.dll

SEARCH_FILES_FOLDER             = "For &Files or Folders..."
SEARCH_FILES_FOLDER_HELP        = "Search for files or folders"
FIND_COMPUTER                   = "For &Computers"
FIND_COMPUTER_HELP              = "Search for computers on the network"

also this reg key contains some of it

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindExtensions

I was able to get it to have only the For Files and Folders... by deleting several other key's under that, but it was still a sub menu. Haven't hacked shell32. I'd rather have the subs but in new Start myself

Thanks, guys. I'd known about hiding the Search item in the menu, and I very well might go for that if I can find another way to launch the search window that I can incorporate into the start menu (I found a vbscript that does the trick, but I don't think I could use it in quite the manner I'm wanting). I'll see if I can't get something to happen with this registry entry.

...Perhaps I should do this on a VM just in case I royally screw something up.. :)

The vbs is rather simple:

Set wshshell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
wshshell.findfiles

If I could call the vbscript from the section of the start menu that Search usually appears from that'd work fine, but I don't think that's possible. The easiest thing to do would be to create a shortcut to it and dump that in the Start Menu at the same level as the "Programs" directory, which I may very well end up doing...

System Restore has never quite worked right, so I never use it. In fact, I removed it completely. :)

I have a reg Tweak will add what you want below the Run in new. Couldn't you just click the Customize and use the Add and add a shortcut to your vb script? Then check reg and see where its writing and maybe customize it further. Then problem being removing the Help and Support, I think theres a way but haven't messed with Old Start in a while.

This is Reg key to kill it in New Start Menu

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_ShowHelp"=dword:00000000

I found out its a Restriction will remove it, I'm looking for it. I have it here.

This will remove Help and Support in Classic and New

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;Applies to User

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSMHelp"=dword:00000001

For System Wide Use

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]