Network policy settings

zipp51

Hi All,

This is strange.When I go to check on windows updates I get an Access Denied "Network policy setting prevent you from using windows update on this computer etc."From time to time I mess with settings but I don't know where to look to correct this.I am the only user set up here at home,running winxp pro.Can someone help with this problem?..............Thanks Zipp

have you installed service pack one? sounds like it to me, using the corp VLK key everyone used. Microsoft has blocked you from getting updates as your versions is either:

1) pirated

2) the real VLK copy, which has been recalled.

i bet its not the second one :)

you need a legitimate version of windows, or another cd key. oh, and you need to format. if you have a static IP you will probably have to change your ip also, but im not 100% on the ip bit.

either that or you have blocked updates in the network permissions settings.

If you haven't installed SP1, then go to Internet Options > Security, and set default level for Internet, Local, Trusted and Restricted. Restart IE and go to Windows Update again.

Thanks for the pondering guys.I ran gpedit.msc where I was fooling around with settings and discovered that the User configuration/Windows component/Windows Update was enabled so I disabled it and Windows Update works just as it did before.I had a brain fart as to where I changed settings...............Zipp :D:rolleyes::)