Gateway Upgrade

Treeman

Hi Folks,

I went to the Gateway support page trying to figure out if this machine will support a larger H.drive (WD 1200jb) The system serial # is: 0023324747 ala 1.4gz. Celeron board with rdram. The web page shows that upgrade for $200 bucks! (newegg.com $89)

The main problem is with the proprietary software/hardware on the mobo. This computer has Win Me on it, and I would like to put XP Pro on the new drive. The drivers listed for the onboard controllers say they are not XP compatable. Will the install of XP get dorked if I use the older drivers, (Intel® Ultra ATA Storage driver) (Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility, version 2.60.001) or will XP load it's generic drivers for the board?

What do you think would be the best stratagy for upgrading to XP, with what I have to work with?

Thanks,

Treeman

well i wouldn't in life time buy any components from and dealers like that (gateway/ dell /etc..)

pricegrabber.com is a pretty good place to start to buy things

i know u've mentioned the model of the computer but my internet's real slow now I don't want to die trying to open that page

so what are your pc specs? i don't think its a brand new one bc u've ME on it.

well drivers are going to be fine. xp is best known for its driver support i'd say but i'm not sure if u'd want to run it on a slow machine.

a western digital 120gb 7200 rpm will speed up your computers performance but still what are the specs?

for intel chipset drivers i'd go to intel's page and check the latest chipset software for your mb for compatibility

I wouldn't buy a Dell or Gateway either but that's all I have to work with!

As far as the specs you can find them here:

Gateway E4600

Now don't barf, I know it has ME on it and I would have upgraded it to MS Bob if I had a copy of it.

This upgrade to XP is for a buddy. The computer has 640mb. of rdram, a speedy 100mhz. f.s.b., and a Plutonium 4, 1.4 Cele.

I'm hoping that all the drivers included with XP will solve most of my misery, but then remember, this is a Gateway. The parts that are included in the case may not meet anyones requirements!

So 3rd party drivers may self destruct things like the video card, nic, etc.

Just wanted to know if this upgrade to XP could be done without suicide being involved.

Thanks for any help,

Treeman

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Just so you know, the impossable can be done! I jerked out the modem, which wasn't supported anymore, left the nic card in.

I'll be darned . . . XP loaded eveything just fine. So there is hope when upgrading to XP after all! (even on a Gateway)

Treeman