Downloaded .scr file

Yes, I was naive enough to click on one of those links on someone's away message on AOL Instant Messenger to a .scr file. Not only was I stupid enough to do that, but I opened the file when it was done downloading. All sorts of problems now. I can't run task manager, msconfig, or regedit (neither from the command line nor from double-clicking the icons in explorer). Ad-Aware and Spy Bot Search and Destroy offered no help. System restore doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Only one word for this, idiocy, pure idiocy

Uh yeah, thanks, I kind of realized that :) . I ran in safe mode and fonud some items, one being NETSTATT.exe in my C:\WINDOWS folder. Deleting that and a few other quick fixes seemed to solve the problem. Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Only one word for this, idiocy, pure idiocy

Pure idiocy is TWO WORDS as far as I can tell. Those of us with more tolerance/greater understanding/bigger vocabularies may also suggest naivety, absentmindednesss or carelessness to name but 3. Wow, Brits 3, Aussies 1. Another win.

As for a solution, which was what the poor bloke wanted, open the .scr with notepad as it is likely to be a Windows script which you can then try to decipher. If you get garbage in notepad then it is probably an executable made to look like a windows screensaver. If this is the case, check your display properties to make sure it isn't going too run every 10 minutes or however long your screensaver interval is.