64 Bit laptop..

dkreifus

hmm when u said 64bit processer I thought u wanted spend lots of greens :)

well I don't think u can find a 64bit processor cheap.

simply bc its not widely common yet. what advantage are u gonna get over 32 bit? if u're just buying it for fun i mean u're gonna have to pay more.

Acer Ferrari 3200 (a mobile Athlon 64 2800+) looks good and has lots of features. Alienware doesn't have AMD notebooks, neither does Dell and HP has them withouth 64bits. Don't know about Toshiba or Gateway. Sager (Sagernotebooks.com) probably has some, and they are a lot like alienware, only cheaper.

Have you made up your mind on whether you want a MOBILE Athlon 64 or a desktop Athlon 64 in your box. Cause with the cheaper desktop version your battery will only last for an hour or so.

Still I prefer Intel Dothan myself.

I'm an AMD person... But I will check out Acer..

Simply, I want to get a 64 bit because its going to become my main machine, my tool for work, and everything I do will be on it. I plan on using it for a LONG time...

And, its a gift, so its not all my greens. I may chip in some if the cost runs too high, butI figure that I don't have the finances to buy this sucker fully myself yet.

no pls don't buy hp ! a noo ! overheating problems!

my friends have xt6200 or something like that

1st cannot play much games and play movies cause it gets so hot and locks up

2nd friend's monitor's brightness died, and he has overheating problems as well

they are p4 1.7 machines

I don't even want to think how 64 bit 3ghz processors can heat up

other friend has compaq: overheating problems as well!!

other friends has toshiba sony & dell --> No problems!

though I hate the stupid hdd noise that sony laptops make :)

be aware cheaper doesn't always mean cheap bc it has less components inside. it also means worser equipment and more problems.

I do advice if u're going to buy a laptop or not going to use it just for word processing save a little more money and get a better one.

of course read some reviews. I mean they're all not cheap. and after giving like $2000 feeling like "oh man this crap, why did I not buy something else, it was $500 more," I have seen this feeling its not fun and u cannot really sell a crappy laptop to many ppl (might be wrong about this :rolleyes:) anyways

read reviews and get suggestions from ppl in your profession. and/or from ppl who knows a little more that what u do (not saying u don't!)

I am heading your advice Xtreme.

I think I may forgo a 64 bit laptop for the moment. There aren't enough options for me to make a good purchase.

Toshiba & Dell are my top choices, but neither of them have or plan(as they told me on the phone) to carry 64 bit machines anytime soon.

For now, I am getting a Dell or Toshiba.

512+ MB of RAM, integrated wifi, Bluetooth, firewire, DVD Burner, etc.