DirectX Update KB839643

GreenMachine

I am having a few issues integrating the latest DirectX update. Windows Update does not report it as installed, even though the file versions of the dplayx.dll and dpwsockx.dll are the correct version in the finished install. I will not have much time to look into this right now, so if anyone has discovered a solution, please share it. I have added this update to the Download List.

Note:

DirectX90-KB839643-x86-ENU.EXE is the correct file for this update.

I believe part of the problem lies in slipstreaming DX9 updates, when DX9 itself is only installed. When DX9 goes to install, there are already greater file versions present. Setup does handle this properly, and newer files are not overwritten with older versions. I did try quicky to trace the registry changes after WU, but there was either nothing interesting there, or I missed it (I said quickly ... ).

... Windows Update does not report it as installed, even though the file versions of the dplayx.dll and dpwsockx.dll are the correct version in the finished install. ...

Hi GreenMachine,

the same effect with the german version of XP-Pro.

I just tested with the new XPCTHLST.TXT. The downloads are all ok now and the script runs with no error. Im sure you find a solution for the DirectX update problem.

Greetings

Ice M.

Well, I have found that from RunOnce it works fine. Might just let it keep 817778 company for a bit ... but I do think that it is installed correctly, even if WU reports otherwise. The logs more or less confirm this: it is ony two files. The real test will be to wait until the MBSA files are updated, and see what it says.

Still ... if anyone can figure out which registry keys convince WU that it IS installed, I'm a taker!

GM,

I know you don't/won't support this method, but I was able to get Windows Update to report it as installed by first slipstreaming DX9 into the XP source using batches from jdeboeck. I then put the DirectX90-KB839643-x86-ENU.EXE file in the HF1 directory for XPCREATE. Even if you don't support this method, perhaps it will help you figure out the Windows Update problem.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks, johann83, that kind of supports what I was thinking: there is a source version problem. I'm going to sit tight on this a bit, wait for MBSA, and WU may change as well (Nobody ever mentioned how the USB update is now correctly reported as installed on VPC.) The files are inplace for those worried about integrity, and running the patch later will fix WU, so I'd say we are a low risk level. :)

You have the wrong patch. The first patch listed is for DirectX7. Scroll towards the bottom and you'll see the patch for DirectX 9. If covers both Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I spent a good portion of last night figuring that out! :) The patch name will start with 'DirectX9'.

I put that patch in SVC-HF1 and everything works fine for XP Pro and 2K Pro.

EDIT:

You can get the patch here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

doesn't XPC have a folder to put a hotfix without slipstreaming? eh eh?

has anyone tried to just add it to SVCPACK.INF after a normal XPC routine? not putting it in one of the folder, leaving it out, and the manually adding the entry?

has anyone tried to just add it to SVCPACK.INF after a normal XPC routine? not putting it in one of the folder, leaving it out, and the manually adding the entry?

Doesn't work. Reported as not installed by WU. I added it manually to svcpack.inf.

it still hasn't....

when I popped it into the XPC directory, i still ended up with the .900 version instead of the .903 like the update applies.

Also, just so you know when you get back, MBSA has been updated for the latest patch. And it reports it's not installed on my system (It shouldn't...wrong file versions....)

Hi Alanoll,

I went over to the MBSA v1.2 download page, grabbed it, and ran an MD5 on it. The MD5 matches. Is there a v1.3 that I missed or something? I thought the new updated signatures for MBSA were only downloaded after you run it for the first time, and that the core MBSA download file stayed the same. It is possible that I am wrong, or that I went to the wrong page :)

From the page linked above, I downloaded the English version of MBSA and the MD5 [1a7c55848c6ded8dfdb4860d1506f863] matches the one in the HFLIST.

Thanks,

-V