Unattend problem

I just finished my first workable unattend (so i thought) and i am testing it in my VMWARE Workstation that simulates a machine but the installation hangs right at the end of "Installing Devices" while installing XP+SP1 slipstreamed.

I can't figure what the problem is could any1 help me on this?

I made the iso with the cd_image stuff in the site.

Below i will add my winnt.sif file so u can look into it and tell me maybe i did something wrong.

winnt.sif

Yeah thats the link to the site 10x for reminding every1 :rolleyes: and No -- it hangs cause my hard disk doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore and i have icons on VMWare that stop lighting up at that point.

Any1 knows what stage comes up right after "installing devices" -- maybe I messed something up at that point? I only use GuyRunOnce -- when does it begin installing?

:) Thats strange -- I restarted the Virtual Machine and the setup resumed right after that; So my conclusion is : does the setup needs a restart right after "Installing Devices"? How do i do that? Do I need to remove "WaitForReboot=No" entry in the winnt.sif?

well,

I do know that when I used ultraiso to optimise my ISO9660 CDimage, it messed up the files a bit, and what wolfshade described in his first post happened to me (in vmware 4).

Then, I did not get problems using either Nero6 or cdimage.exe to make the ISO.

I used CD-Image_Pro Kit that i downloaded from the guide page in unattended.msfn.org it comes with a batch to remove attributes and make the iso right with cdimage.exe util. U mean this util isn't working right? (using vmware4 too)

i had the same problem the other day mucking around with a new version of my cd... in the end i think it was the onboard usb controller on the mainboard, driver not installing correctly... i set bios defaults and it installed (afterwards i checked the bios and found the defaults set usb to disabled)

I just finished my first workable unattend (so i thought) and i am testing it in my VMWARE Workstation that simulates a machine but the installation hangs right at the end of "Installing Devices" while installing XP+SP1 slipstreamed.

I can't figure what the problem is could any1 help me on this?

I made the iso with the cd_image stuff in the site.

Below i will add my winnt.sif file so u can look into it and tell me maybe i did something wrong.

How did you slipstrime your installation ? If you slipstrime a cd and you only use the I386 dir it will hang when you have gone trough 67% of the installation. You have to use all the content from the slipstrimed cd. This is a microsoft bug.

I followed the exact steps: copy wincd, extract sp1 update from update dir with command line flags etc.

Anyway i downloaded the latest VMWare Workstation and it seems to work fine and 200% faster:) i'm still having trouble simulating the postinstall section thats gotta get the soft from another partition -- and one more thing it installs AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet adapter instead of my VE 100 NIC -- anyway problem fixed so it seems 10x guys.

If any of u know by chance how to specificate my hardware to VMWare please do so -- it seems that it doesn't simulate my actual hardware and i found no other options that do so.

if you included aditional drivers delete them and look how the installation works, if not VMWare it's a emulator pc not the real pc so think in use partition magic and create another drive of 2Gb for example, then buy a CDRW and test it again (maybe it hungs because the problem it's it can't detect the hardware well enough in VMWare)

If you create the iso using the 'Image Recorder' virtual burner in Nero6, the files won't get corrupted (and therefore prevent what you described in your 1st post in this thread).

and one more thing it installs AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet adapter instead of my VE 100 NIC.

If any of u know by chance how to specificate my hardware to VMWare please do so -- it seems that it doesn't simulate my actual hardware

No, it can't do that. It will simulate its own devices. For example, if you have a Radeon9500 AGP card, your virtual machine will still see only "VMware SVGA II" graphics card (which is what VMware tells your VM). Same way, your real NIC has no relevance in a VM, as VMware will tell the VM that it is operating on an "AMD PCNET -----" NIC.