these tweaks aren't loading

I've got a whole bunch of registry tweaks in a reg file that are loaded through cmdlines.txt. Almost all of them install correctly except these ones:

;Use classic view in control panel
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WebView\BarricadedFolders]
"shell:ControlPanelFolder"=dword:00000000

;Uses small icons in the toolbar for IE and Explorer
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons]
"SmallIcons"="yes"

;Show Internet but not Email on SM
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]
"Favorites"=hex(3):00,16,00,00,00,14,00,1F,80,F4,A1,59,25,D7,21,D4,11,BD,AF,00,\
 C0,4F,60,B9,F0,00,00,FF

;Don't show Privacy Statement in WMP 9
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001

Now if I run those tweaks while I'm logged in, they work fine. But any other time and they don't. Any ideas? Is it possible that before a user's initial login that windows automatically changes those registry entries to default?

Hmm. I'm not sure.

For the Classic control panel, you could try this setting instead of the other:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ForceClassicControlPanel"=dword:00000001

I don't know about the small icons and WMP privacy statement.

DarkBringer, that is exactly the one I have :)

jrzycrim, I would rather not use that one, or else the end user is forced with the classic control panel.

I'm going to try something on my next install. The runonceex that is launched on the initial login, will put an entry into the runonce key that will get launched on the second login.

It's not really a problem of having the wrong registry values, but that windows is changing them at some point during the initial login. I was mainly wondering if anyone knew what process, or why windows is changing this on the first login.

If you are performing your unattended install on a domain computer, do you have a default domain profile defined for users? If so, perhaps the profile is conflicting with and overriding some of your current user tweaks.

If you suspect this may be the case, create a LOCAL user on your newly-installed system. If the local user has the tweaks, but the domain users do not, then the defualt domain profile is most likely the cause.

Nope ravashaak, i'm not using a domain profile.

I checked the "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT", and all the tweaks are in there. I'm pretty sure there is some process that is run on the first login, that causes these values to change for the current user.

Guest zippy

it works for me...

try my post on this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=8341&st=520

the visual effect part... WebView

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000000

EDIT:

My mistake... regs above turns off WebView...

i dont know the SmallIcons thing, but when i put REG QUERY the SmallIcons in RunOnce before any RegTweak, i got this result on my machine:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons
   SmallIcons REG_DWORD 0x0

i cant figure out why people put "SmallIcons"="yes", the datatype is REG_SZ.

paul3vanz, that did the trick for that tweak, thanks. Now I have two problem tweaks left:

;Use classic view in control panel
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WebView\BarricadedFolders]
"shell:ControlPanelFolder"=dword:00000000

;Show Internet but not Email on SM
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage]
"Favorites"=hex(3):00,16,00,00,00,14,00,1F,80,F4,A1,59,25,D7,21,D4,11,BD,AF,00,\
 C0,4F,60,B9,F0,00,00,FF

And I do not want any tweaks that FORCE the user to used specified settings. In other words I want the user to be able to change the setting if they desire, I just want to set the default.

Here's a possible workaround for your control panel tweak.

I didn't have time to actually test this on an unattended CD. Just takes to long.

I set the control panel to category view. Next, I imported the tweak I posted earlier:

"ForceClassicControlPanel"=dword:00000001

I then immediately deleted that value:

"ForceClassicControlPanel"=-

When I opened the control panel, it was in classic view and the ability to switch to category view was not disabled.

This might work during setup if you import the reg key from cmdlines.txt and then delete that key during RunOnceEx or GUIRunOnce. I can't be sure it will work, however.

Cheers,

good thinking jrzycrim, but I don't think that will work. When applied during setup, it is applied to all users, but when it is delete during RunOnceEx, it is only deleted for the logged in user. That means everyone else would still have the ForceClassicControlPanel setting on.

I was thinking of deleting the value from HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, but then when a user logs in for the first time, the setting wouldn't be there, and it would defeat the whole purpose.

Is there a way to make a command run for each individual's first logon? Thatway I could delete it from HKCU when that user first logs in.

EDIT: I think I found something. Check out this post by gosh http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=11308

EDIT2: Okay that method in gosh's post is for a different purpose.