Network conflict

I set up this new W2k3 server with AD and domain, in an already existing network. It's been running a whole week now but I've been having problems this morning; the server is up, clients are still running in WORKGROUP mode, with automatic detection of DHCP and DNS settings. This morning, some computers couldn't access our WAN and Internet destinations for no obvious reason. They still get their IP addresses and can see each other in the local network.

So I tried a few things, then decided to set one client with the DNS settings of MY local server (DHCP and DNS are done over WAN at my office, so I have no control over that) and the WAN and internet connection came back.

I guess there's something with my DNS settings that get in conflict with the distant DNS server, but what? And why did the troubles only start this morning? My server's been running the whole week with the same settings.

Any ideas? :)

LOL ...... welcome in the microsoft WORLD where everything can arrive even if everything is ok during a long time :rolleyes:

ps = did u use the nslookup to find a solution ( i know that could be a stupid solution but just in case u didn't try nslookup )

see u :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nope didn't use nslookup. There was no problem with DNS.

My server had DHCP set up and was entering in conflict with existing servers; I removed DHCP from my server and let exterior ones do their job :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out how things are done here :)