Visual Studio.NET 2003

Wraith

Just a quick note, I'll write up some docs on how to install VS.NET 2003 unattended, providing what I'm doing works :)

AaronXP: I'll try and make it as "User Friendly" as possible, so you or whoever can stick it up on http://unattended.msfn.org

Also, I should point out that Visio 2003 unattended is exactly the same procedure as the Office 2003 notes on the unattended pages (or have other people said that already... I dunno :rolleyes:)

Give me a few days to figure it out completely, debug it, etc. etc.

Okay, well, I didn't bother doing MSDN, but it's probably the same sequence as VS.NET to install - this one's going to be a bit of a b***h to get working, you have to manually install it first, just to see what it needs, and what YOU want installed.

Then you have to use Orca to make a new transform - with settings based on what the install log says.

I'll try and write it up tonight.

Just as a sidenote, when I did it unattended, the install went from 15 minutes attended for just Visual C++, down to 3 minutes unattended. Quite useful methinks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't realise there were so many people that wanted this.... but then again, I should've known :)

Visual Studio .NET 2003 Unattended

What you need:

Visual Studio 2003 (Not sure if it works with 2002, someone confirm?)

Windows Component Updates (With VS.NET, either on a seperate CD or in the X:\Pre folder)

ORCA (From the Platform SDK)

And time...

Step 1

First things first, you need to do an install of VS.NET. The logfile it generates during setup is what we need, as it will create the values for the transform file.

So do an install, have some coffee, and come back when you're ready to proceed :-)

Step 2

Okay, now that that's done, you need to go and find the setup logfile. I've been told that it can be in temp folders for your username, as well as in the install path, so you may have to go looking. I don't remember the exact filename, but it's in there somewhere. In case you were wondering, mine was in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003\...\...\installlog.txt", rather than my username's temp folder. But I never checked my username's temp folder, so it could be in two places at once.

You'll have to forgive me for the vagueness of this step, as I am not running windows any more. :rolleyes: (If someone would like to clarify, this would be great.)

Open the file in notepad, and turn word wrapping off. You need to scroll down and find a REALLY long line, that has all the commandline arguments sent to vs_setup.msi during setup.

Here is the list of mine, spread out on multiple lines so you can see how it's split up:

ALLUSERS="1"

ADDLOCAL="Visual_Studio_.NET_Ent_Architect,Language_Tools_for_VS_7_Ent,VCpp_for_VS_7_Ent,VCpp_Runtime_Lib

raries,

CRT2_Static_Libraries,CRT3_Shared_Libraries,CRT4_Source_Code,CRT1_Single_Threaded_Libraries,VCpp_Cla

ss_and_Template_Libraries,

ATL_MFC_Static_Libraries_ANSI,ATL_MFC_Shared_Libraries_ANSI,ATL_MFC_Static_Libraries_Unicode,ATL_MFC

_Shared_Libraries_Unicode,

ATL_MFC_Source_Code,VCpp_Tools,Trace_Utility,Spy_Plus_Plus,OLE_Com_Object_Viewer,ActiveX_Control_Tes

t_Container,Error_Lookup,

WebDbg,Platform_SDK_Tools,VCsh_for_VS_7_Ent,JavaLang_Conversion_Assitant,SDE_for_VCSh,Enterprise_Dev

elopment_Tools,

Visual_Studio_Analyzer,VS_SDKs,HTML_Help_1.3_SDK,DIA_SDK,Visual_Studio_Analyzer_SDK,VSEF_for_VS_7_En

t,AppCenter_Test_for_VS.NET,

VS_Enterprise_Samples,Duwamish_Books_7.0,FMStocks,Tools_for_Redistributing_Apps,Visual_Studio_Graphi

cs_Library,

Redistributable_Merge_Modules,Server_Components_for_Ent,VS_Remote_Debugger,Native_Only_Debugging,Ful

l_Remote_Debugging,

Visual_Database_Tools_Sproc_Version,Visual_Studio_Analyzer_Server11,Web_Development,dotNET_Framework

_SDK,SDK_Samples_for_VS,

Dotfuscator_Community_Edition"

ADDSOURCE="Visual_Studio_.NET_Samples"

ARPINSTALLLOCATION="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\"

COMPANYNAME="My Company"

INSTALLLEVEL="2"

PIDKEY="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

REBOOT="Suppress"

REINSTALLMODE="omus"

SETUPWINDOW="852888"

SUITEINTEGRATIONKEY="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

USERNAME="Your Name"

VSEXTUI="1"

If some are missing from your logfile, you might be wise adding them, as I'm not sure whether they're needed for an installation.

Step 3

Time to build a new transforms file...

Install ORCA if you haven't already done so - it's bundled with the platform SDK, but isn't installed by default. Run orca.msi and get it to install.

Now that that's done, go an open Orca from the start menu. Be amazed at the quality of the interface, faint, then come back when you wake up :-)

It may not look like much, but this tool can be quite powerful when working with MSI's.

Go ahead and open the vs_setup.msi within Orca. Then, select "Create new Transform" or equivalent, in one of the menus.

Now, go down the left side of the window until you get to an item called "properties". In this table is where you get to add all of the commandline arguments that you retrieved from the logfile.

Add them all, one by one, then come back here.

Now, there was one thing that I was told to do in order to get it to install - there must be another item added to that table - SETUP_EXE="1". I'm not entirely sure that it's needed, but I haven't had problems by including it, so I guess it's safe for others to do so as well.

Now that we're done with Orca, you can save your transform file.

Guess what folks, that's nearly it :-)

Step 4

Getting it all to install...

You need to apply the windows component updates before you use the transform file to install VS.NET. Typically, you need to install the VS.NET Bootstrap, Frontpage Extensions, and the J# redistributable package.

My list:

bootstrap.msi /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

weccom.msi /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

jsredist.msi /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

vssetup.ms TRANSFORMS=vs_setup.mst /qb-

The first three are usually on the WCU cd, or in the Pre folder on the DVD.

And that... should get VS.NET 2003 installed properly.

Let me know if there are any errors, problems etc.

Nick

• 3 years later...

Thanks for that info Wraith.

I know this is an OLD post, but I'm trying to make a silent VS .NET 2003 SP1 install and I'm looking at all possible ways of installing it silently.

using the setup.exe /unattendfile method still reboots the PC after installation, so hopefully this method might work for me instead.

BTW, does anyone know if this nessecarily has to install MSDN?