InstallationFLY

CuBie

btw...

You can download the program HERE

might be a good idea to update that link :) (see last sentence of this post)

UPDATE: v0.1

Added mutli configuration support - Scans the directory its in for ini files then lets you select one. Download HERE

any chance u can make it accept .txt and .sif also? :rolleyes:

Toadd: Maybe put config files in apppath\config - so that it dosent get confused with the settings.ini when i add it. OR make the config files have there own extention, e.g. ".cfg".
.cfg also? lol maybe it would be an even better if it could take a file with any extension? heh
UPDATE: 1.01

I finished 1.0 then i got into adding some error trapping and stuff.. so here it is v1 of iFly. Download it HERE. This zip has the runtimes, the program and an example config file. The are the only 3 things you need to know.

btw i accidentally downloaded the older exe first because it was the first link :D

might be a good idea to just update the first link with the complete .zip and skip the other executable download links maybe :D

Edited by yourtech

Ok i just tried testing the version with the vbruntimes included, under BartPE via VirtualPC and it seems to load alright but it gives me "File not Found" Error on every unattend.ini i try to open, now for me that's an issue because i'm trying to do a lan unattended, (which i have done successfully under dos), but if the path isn't there it would be nice to be able to select a new path :) (thought this was possible with this) but it did not allow me to do anything prior to the load config dialog nor after, and the program shuts down after the error..

It's lookin great so far tho :rolleyes:

@Cubie

Can you had the ability to select other settings for the Winnt32.exe Command :

Winnt32.exe Command Syntax

winnt32 [/s:sourcepath] [/tempdrive:drive_letter]     [/unattend[num]:[answer_file]] [/copydir:folder_name]     [/copysource:folder_name] [/cmd:command_line]    [/debug[level]:[filename]] [/udf:id[,UDF_file]]     [/syspart:drive_letter] [/checkupgradeonly]     [/cmdcons] [/m:folder_name] [makelocalsource]     [/noreboot]

I would like to boot WinPE and build an installation on a new HDD with the following switches

/syspart:drive_letter Specifies that you can copy Setup startup files to a hard disk, mark the disk as active, and then install the disk into another computer. When you start that computer, it automatically starts with the next phase of the Setup. You must always use the /tempdrive parameter with the /syspart parameter.

sample ini file build with the settings selected in ifly (just a wish)

[settings]    Source=E:\W2K\IS5\I386    Install=C:    Switches=/syspart:%install% /tempdrive:%install%

Regards

Can you had the ability to select other settings for the Winnt32.exe Command

I agree completely, :) The ability to pass switches should be a must, and i thought/assumed that iFly (<-this name taken yet?) (InstallationFly) already passed the appropriate switches for an unattended install, i mean why else would you need to be using bartpe or winpe (and iFLY) to run an install otherwise? :rolleyes:

@ yourtech

any chance u can make it accept .txt and .sif also?
I could, but whats the point? Just name your files to .ini coz there all text docs anyway.

--

Ok i just tried testing the version with the vbruntimes included, under BartPE via VirtualPC and it seems to load alright but it gives me "File not Found" Error on every unattend.ini i try to open, now for me that's an issue because i'm trying to do a lan unattended, (which i have done successfully under dos), but if the path isn't there it would be nice to be able to select a new path  (thought this was possible with this) but it did not allow me to do anything prior to the load config dialog nor after, and the program shuts down after the error..

It's lookin great so far tho 

I just looked into this, and i had the same problem. The problem is that it trys to copy the temp ini file to the C:\ drive, and the C:\ drive isnt there for me in windows pe... I think this is the same problem you are having. the program NEEDS some sort of HD installed onto the computer to work. Ill make the program see if theres a HD on the computer, if there isnt a HD, ill make it tell the user and exit itself.

--

@Bilou_Gateux

Switches=/syspart:%install% /tempdrive:%install%

Ill add this. And it will just pass these commands to the winnt32.exe without even looking at them or checking them. It WILL add before the stuff it adds to the command line. Ill add this for a future build.

thanks for the ideas and comments all.

ill release a new build with the drive chekcing and the Switches later on today or tomorrow.

Later,

Chris :)

Heres 1.02

Has the features and fix's described in the last post.

for the Switches, heres how they work.

Say u put Switches=/blah /somthing /here

the program will do this: winnt32.exe /blah /somthing /here /unattend:C:\ininame.ini

as you can se the program automaticly puts spaces before the switchs u add and also after.

Enjoy!

Chris.

iFly.exe

iFly.exe

WARNING! WARNING

I have just found a severe bug. Its to do with putting speech marks around some values in the config file. I struggled to find out what this was for two hours and ive nearly fixed it!

Now it will only put speech marks around values that need it, and it also has alot more error checking to make sure users dont enter invalid values.

Ill post it when its finished and ive tested it.

I recommend you don't use any of the previous versions, as with this bug there pritty much useless as you couldnt use "John Smith" as a username, coz it contains a space, and the previous versions dont add speech marks.

later All

Chris.

Okay, ive just done some more investigating and i found that the speech mark things were causing a problem and that winnt32.exe dosent like my program having its own [settings] Section in its unattended file. So im gonna make it remove the settings section from the tempory file its puts on the hd, as it is just about to pass it to winnt32.exe.

That should be most of the big bugs caught.

Chris.

In response to having to have a hd formatted, you cold post a tooltip that pops up and tells the person that they need one, and if it is run i WinPE you can use diskpart.exe and a batch file to launch it.

Diskpart.txt

DISKPART    SEL DIS 0    CLEAN    CRE PAR PRI    ACT    ASSIGN LETTER CEXIT

Remember to modify your files for your setup, i.e. your HD and partition sizes this will just clean the whole thing.

CallDiskpart.bat

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\I386\system32\Diskpart.exe /s Diskpart.txt

To format the drive use this:

format C: /fs:ntfs /v:(volume_label)  /q /y

@ yourtech

I could, but whats the point? Just name your files to .ini coz there all text docs anyway.

--

Ok i just tried testing the version with the vbruntimes included...
I just looked into this, and i had the same problem. The problem is that it trys to copy the temp ini file to the C:\ drive, and the C:\ drive isnt there for me in windows pe...

iFly.exe - glad to see you like my name suggestion heh

(very cool) :)

Anyway...

what's the point? well whats the point of making it a .ini instead? :rolleyes:

the point in allowing it to be whatever you name it would allow for more flexibility :D

As for the HD issue, that could be a problem for ppl using a preformatted ntfs partition... so personally i think it would be a great idea to either include the usage of a ramdrive... or... to keep things simple you could have a dialog box pop up asking which "drive" should be used (for whatever purpose your proggy needs it for) btw could a floppy be used to do the same? (all the more reason to allow for selection) :D

@ yourtech

--

Ok i just tried testing the version with the vbruntimes included...
I just looked into this, and i had the same problem. The problem is that it trys to copy the temp ini file to the C:\ drive, and the C:\ drive isnt there for me in windows pe...

iFly.exe - glad to see you like my name suggestion heh

(very cool)

Anyway...

what's the point? well whats the point of making it a .ini instead?

the point in allowing it to be whatever you name it would allow for more flexibility :)

As for the HD issue, that could be a problem for ppl using a preformatted ntfs partition... so personally i think it would be a great idea to either include the usage of a ramdrive... or... to keep things simple you could have a dialog box pop up asking which "drive" should be used (for whatever purpose your proggy needs it for) btw could a floppy be used to do the same? (all the more reason to allow for selection) :rolleyes:

hrm.. Yes making a popup asking whitch drive would be a good idea, but the problem is if say the drive is corrupt or somthing.. i would have to add alot of low level error handeling if i wanted to tell the user what the problem is. Also yes, a floppy drive would work, as would a ram drive, or a usb key chain drive (if there detected in pe).. Basicly any media that you can write data to in pe will work...

Ill look into this!

Later,

Chris. :D

:) Any1 got a link or walktrough for adding the VB6 runtimes to the PE build as mentioned in the criterias off Cubie for the 1.0.3 version off install fly? Seems sweet but cant find any info regarding the runtimes....

Reagrds.....

:) Any1 got a link or walktrough for adding the VB6 runtimes to the PE build as mentioned in the criterias off Cubie for the 1.0.3 version off install fly? Seems sweet but cant find any info regarding the runtimes....

Reagrds.....

Its easy! :rolleyes:

Download the Runtimes Here.. EXTRACT that EXE with winrar.. Dont install it.. Extract the EXE with winrar!

then youll have a load of files.. Delete the INF or INI and put them files in with the program - easy!

Chris.