8.3 filename conversion necessary?

midas

Microsoft releases all of their OS's now with 31 character limit, and not 8.3.

Is there a issue with long file names?

Also, how can one easily install the 817778 hotfix?

I've heard guirunonce, but am unsure how to easily do this

ideas?

thanks for the great program also

thanks for the link

anyone know if there are any plans for XPCreate to add support for hotfixes like these?

the reason I ask about 8.3 filenames, is a few files afterwards come up with the tilde ( ~ )

i renamed all of my packages manually, but a few remain (not the few .wav & .wmv files)

they end up Q8124E~1.CAT and Q8A119~1.CAT

maybe they are just getting unpacked improperly

hmmm.....

XPCreate might be doing that.....and if it does, dunno why. Campitbility?

It really shouldn't matter i don't think, all mine are 8 characters, just because that's how microsoft named them.

however, normal ISO 9660 standard for CDs require 8.3 names which might be where your renaming is coming from. Joliet would solve this.

As for implentation into XPCreate, I think GM opted not to included that one. There aren't many like the Advanced Networking Pack, and it could very well be incorporated into SP2. But you'd have to get the final say form him....

are the files with the tilde from hotfixes? That could be microsoft, because it keeps with ISO 9660 when creating CDs for compatibility.

The Unattended Page should have you covered for 817778. Nothing I can do to get it in earlier. SP2 will fix that ...

All files placed in the SVC* directories will be both 8.3ed, and UPPERCASED. The exception is SVC-HF1, which will be renamed according to the hotfix number. This is done, in combination with the file table creation structure used, to insure errorless file copy at the text mode part of setup. And it does. FIles in the FILESCD directory will NOT be renamed. In any event, this is irrelevent to the end user (you!), as these are the files used by XPCREATE. When the files are renamed with a tilda (~) in the name, the actual file name is of no importance, other than the fact that it is unique, and used to identify the files. DO NOT CHANGE THESE NAMES!