What happens when....?

BradBo

a person installs one new oem copy of Windows XP Home Edition on their computer with the online registration completed then gives it to a friend and they try to install the same copy on their computer?

Like Drewdatrip said "It is illegal".

Now, if you are selling the computer to your friend along with the OEM Home Edition then it is not illegal. The End User License Agreement (EULA) for the OEM Home Edition should be refered to in this event. I do not want to get into all that.

Assuming you are selling the computer along with the OEM Title and the OEM Title is already registered to you through Microsoft it is a simple matter of telephoning Microsoft Support to make it legal. This applies to the OEM Home Title. Be sure Microsoft understands "OEM Home Title" up front so there is no confusion. It is a simple process to complete yet takes a little time on the telephone and one fax.

I sell OEM PCs along with everything OEM from Microsoft and my customers sell their PCs with OEM Titles on a frequent basis. I keep track of all the hardware and software they buy and assist them when necessary. Maybe, you bought your PC with OEM Title from a source that also assists their customers in a similar manner? Give them a call.