Q832483 install problem

hi everyone,

I followed the Unattended guide on MSFN and created a Windows XP SP1a cd with hotfixes and other apps. While everthing seems ok, I have trouble installing the MDAC hotfix Q832483.

I put the install command:

start / wait ENU_Q832483_MDAC_X86.EXE /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

inside a batchfile hotfixes.cmd and placed it under the $OEM$\$1\Install\hotfixes\ folder on the cd. here is my hotfixes.cmd:

@echo off

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q817787 for Windows Media Player 8

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\Q817787.EXE /Q:A /R:N

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q832483 Buffer overrun in an MDAC function could allow code execution

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\ENU_Q832483_MDAC_X86.EXE /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q817778 Advanced Networking Pack

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\Q817778.exe /Q /O /N /Z

ECHO.

ECHO Restarting the PC in 1 1/2 minutes...

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 90 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 1/2 minutes"

EXIT

I am calling the hotfix.cmd from [GuiRunOnce] in Winnt.sif
[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\hotfixes.cmd

The install seems to complete well. But after checking the dahotfix.log file, I see that the install fails! Here is the relevant portion of the file dahotfix.log:

[11:29:03]: Executing PreInstallActions for package.

[11:29:03]: Loading function (CheckMDACVersionExact) from internal function list.

[11:29:03]: 2.80,false[11:29:03]: Checking version of Microsoft Data Access Components that is currently installed on the machine.

[11:29:03]: An error occurred while setup was trying to verify the version of Microsoft Data Access Components current installed on the machine.

Either the version currently installed does not match the version of this hotfix package, or setup was unable to determine the version currently installed.

[11:29:03]: The action (NULL!CheckMDACVersionExact) returned FALSE.

Either all of the PreInstallActions for this package returned FALSE, or there was a fatal error while executing an action.

The package will not be installed.  This error will not halt the setup process.

[11:29:03]: Destroying Job Queues.

[11:29:07]: Ending Windows Message Pump.

[11:29:07]: Destroying Main Dialog.

[11:29:07]: Checking state of setup at end of installation.

Setup was successful.

[11:29:07]: Shutting down Hotfix Installer.

What could be the problem? Anyone?

Thanks for your help...

i believe the instructions from the MSFN Unattended XP guide tell you to run the MDAC hotfix from it's own batch file... I don't know why...

Q832483.EXE /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

that is what I have in my MDAC.CMD

I don't konw why yours is not patching correctly, looking at the logs it seems the updater thinks the data access components aren't installed on your computer..

xp home or pro?

Check where you put the hotfix and see if it is named correctly there:

Example: ENU or ENG (on the front of the name...) Make sure these co-inside with what you have it named in your files.

When I downloaded mine I had to change the first 3 letters of the hotfix.

@[bM]Crusher

I''ll try putting the hotfix in its own batch file. Thanks for the advice :)

BTW I am using XP Pro.

@MasterControl

The file is named properly - I double checked all the names with those in the batches. Thanks anyway.:rolleyes:

I'll test it again and let u guys know...

since you mentioned dahotfix.log file. I searched and found mine as well. Seems that mine is not loading either. My log file states the same thing as yours. I was thinking that they all loaded b/c update said i was ok, So I will be working on this problem as well.

If you have any breakthrews, let me know.

Peace

"More than any other job, master control is about immediate consequences..."

We deployed this here at work, along with some others, and here is what I ran into.

The patch will choke if it cannot figure out what version of MDAC is installed, or if it is not the correct version.

What we did is install MDAC 2.8, but it requires a reboot before the patch will realize it is there. So I used AutoIT to perform the actions it was doing on reboot during the unattended install, and that works ok, the patch then sees that it is MDAC 2.8 and installs ok.

If this sounds like what the problem is, let me know and I will post the AutoIT script I used. (These actions can be taken without AutoIT also if needed.)

You need to reduce the size of the file name to 8.3 format...

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Q832483 Buffer overrun in an MDAC function could allow code execution

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\hotfixes\Q832483.EXE /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q

How does that affect :

[11:29:03]: An error occurred while setup was trying to verify the version of Microsoft Data Access Components current installed on the machine.Either the version currently installed does not match the version of this hotfix package, or setup was unable to determine the version currently installed.

? :)

@Joe User

What you describe seems to be a solution to the problem in installing the fix. Can u please post the script you mentioned here in the forum. - A non AutoIT script would be even better - if u can manage one. Thanks... :)

Ok...this is from my AutoIT 3 script. There is nothing special about it, and I'm sure you could just call the regsrv32 commands from any .cmd file. And import a reg file to delete the keys that MDAC adds during it's install.

The autoIT script is pretty easy, and compiles to a .exe, so it's easy to add on to a install.

Give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

;;- MDAC 2.8 must register DLL's after reboot. Cannot do this as restricted user, so we are ;  doing it prior to reboot, by hand.;;- Here we are deleting the keys added by MDAC 2.8 Install.RegDelete ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\800")RegDelete ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\801")RegDelete ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\802")RegDelete ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\990");;- Here we are running them now, rather than at reboot.;;------ From Key 800RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msado15.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msador15.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msadrh15.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msadomd.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msadox.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO\msjro.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msadce.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msadcf.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msadco.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msadds.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msdaprst.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msdarem.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSADC\msdfmap.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\oledb32.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msxactps.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdaenum.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdaurl.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdatt.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdasql.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdaosp.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdaora.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE)RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\msdaps.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE);;------ From Key 801RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\sqlxmlx.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE);;------ From Key 802RunWait('C:\WINNT\System32\Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\sqloledb.dll" /s',"",@SW_HIDE);;------ From Key 990RunWait("C:\WINNT\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_FillCache_RunDLL","",@SW_HIDE);;- Here we clean up the MDAC 2.8 install. MS's Component Checker shows a few loose ends not fixed by the above entries,;  So we will change them here to complete a full clean MDAC 2.8 install.\RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADODB.Command\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADODB.Command.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADODB.Connection\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADODB.Connection.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADODB.Error\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADODB.Error.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADODB.ErrorLookup\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADODB.ErrorLookup.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADODB.Parameter\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADODB.Parameter.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADODB.Recordset\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADODB.Recordset.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ADOR.Recordset\CurVer", "", "REG_SZ", "ADOR.Recordset.2.80")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0000054E-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}", "", "REG_SZ", "Command25");;- For some reason, our unattended installs all the files and our regsvr32 lines up above register everyting;  correctly, but it doesn't add the version to the registry, so we will add it here.RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess", "FullInstallVer", "REG_SZ", "2.80.1022.3")RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataAccess", "Version", "REG_SZ", "2.80.1022.3");Sleep(2000);;------------------------------------------------------; Now that MDAC 2.8 is taken care of, we will install the Feb. 2004 MDAC Hotfix.;Install MDAC Security Hotfix (MS04-003)RunWait('C:\WINNT\Temp\w2khotfixes\Q832483.EXE /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n" /q',"",@SW_HIDE);------------------------------------------------------