Acer aspire 5630: how get some Windows 98\ME drivers?

10 hours ago, Joaquim said:

when i enter on Windows, i see the Desktop by some seconds and then the screen go black

Okay, so this is completely different.

I've had some "edge of support" drivers do what you have described, due to poor DirectX backwards compatibility. You could disable video acceleration, and test if the black outs still happen. If they stop happening, then it could be a DirectX issue.

It should be noted, that a video driver can work perfect on one machine and then malfunction on another (same/similar video hardware). Especially, if it is an integrated video device (laptop).

Are there any conflicts listed in device manager? Is there anything not installed in device manager?

This may be a less likely issue, but I've had a few Nvidia chips behave this way, before they kicked the bucket. Probably nothing, but be weary if the machine is running hot. If it is hot, maybe examine your configuration and see if you are in need of a CPU idler (Rain/Waterfall/CPUidle). In laptops the heatsink for the GPU is often on the same heat rail as the CPU. Might be good to make sure the fan area is free of dust. Also, if it is hot/warm, avoid using the device in warmer rooms. Like I said before, this may have nothing to do with your issue. Just mentioning it as a precaution. But if the thermal grease hasn't been replaced, keep temperature in mind. Most of my older ATI/Nvidia featured laptops, eventually die related to the GPU. Could be due to poor upkeep, on my part, or poor cooling designs.

"Are there any conflicts listed in device manager? Is there anything not installed in device manager?"
both... and the DirectX isn't updated .... and i can't install a audio drivers, because i didn't find them :(

2 hours ago, Joaquim said:

both... and the DirectX isn't updated .... and i can't install a audio drivers, because i didn't find them

Which devices have the conflicts?

Did disabling acceleration stop the black outs?

There is a possibility an updated DirectX could help. I've had no experience with the specific drivers you are using. So, I can't speak to the probability of this being the issue. Unless you prefer not updating it, you could try and let us know the results.

You audio device seems to be a Realtek HD Audio. It can be a bit of a struggle getting those to work. Deomsh does some work with Walter's HDA audio driver. There are several threads here, where you can examine the process of getting it to work. It may work right away.

Did you search for more information on the video patching? There are some discussions here, about it.

so i reinstalled the Windows 98:
1 - when i start i get 2 graphics drivers: 1 is PCI standard(with '!') and other is the standard... so i delete 1 and installed the drivers;
2 - i installed the DirectX 9 and disable the DirectDraw\3D Acceleration...
but the Black Screen continues happen on Start Windows....
can you share another driver for i test please? or i must give up on Windows 98SE?

Joaquim, I don't think "anyone" has gotten regular drivers for HDA to work on Win9x(95,98,ME). The only driver with support, that I know of, is Walters Driver. You could use a USB audio adapter. Windows has built in drivers for that.

From private messages, I was able to tell Joaquim is referring to rloew's "Win9x 512Mb Nvidia patch".

I believe there may be another patch, someone could be referring to. One specific to updating video device bios/firmware so that cards not compatible with the Win9x drivers (at all/hardware too new) could possibly work.

This patch (rloew's) is extremely unlikely to help with the "black out" issues.

It is a 2 path option patch.

(1) driver patch - patches the driver limiting it to the use of 256Mb of video ram; thus preventing issues when the driver attempts to use beyond the 265Mb reported by the hardware.

(2) hardware patch - updates the video device bios/firmware to report to the driver the full 512Mb of video ram, to the driver; thus preventing the driver's attempt at writing to the later 256Mb of ram, that isn't correctly allocated.

!!!!Note: I may be getting the technical explanations of this patch incorrect, but I only gave the patch manual a brief skim. I think my description is near enough to express why this patch shouldn't change the "black out" issue. By all means, improve my description; I welcome the corrections.

I would highly discourage updating the bios, unless you were sure it solved whatever issue was believed to be solved by doing so.

As for patching the driver, sure. I doubt it will help. But in the spirit of desperation, I understand.

These are the directions, as provided in the patch manual.

INSTALLATION

Extract the files from the PTCHNVSZ.ZIP Package into a single Folder.

DRIVER PATCH

1. Obtain the 82.69 Version of the nVidia Graphics Driver for Windows 9x if
   you do not already have it. It can be obtained from the MDGX Website at
   http://www.mdgx.com/files/nv8269.php

Graphics Cards such as the 7950GT require this Version to work with Windows
95, 98, 98SE or ME.

2. Install the Driver if not already installed.
3. Remove the Shutdown fix if you have installed it. This Patch contains the
   fix.
4. Boot to DOS or Safe Mode. Normal Mode probably will not work.
5. If in Safe Mode, open a DOS Box.
6. Go to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM Folder.
7. Copy the PATCHNVC.EXE from the Patch Package Folder to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM
   Folder.
8. Rename NVCORE.VXD to NVCORE.BAK
9. Run:

PATCHNVC NVCORE.BAK NVCORE.VXD

If you get an error, delete NVCORE.VXD, rename NVCORE.BAK back to
   NVCORE.VXD and contact Author.

10. You can delete PATCHNVC.EXE if no longer needed.
    Do not delete NVCORE.BAK if you want to be able to uninstall.

11. Reboot unless doing another Patch next.

19 minutes ago, schwups said:

I assume that Acer Aspire 5630 has 128 MB VRAM.

I believe that is correct. It is my understanding that this patch could potentially make things worse, or "at best" not really make a difference.

But I can't claim, with 100% certainty, that it won't help; instead with just an awful lot of certainty.

i'm sorry to all.. but i give up on Windows 9X... it's hard when we don't find the right drivers :(

i installed the Windows XP.. i'm sorry to all... and thanks for all to all

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 10:37 PM, schwups said:

I think the driver 82.69 isn't 100% compatible with G71 / G72 chips. Maybe you can find something about GF 7300 here on Msfn board 9x/ME, if you search. I've a 7900GS (G71) and yes there is a black screen on ME start for a second that doesn't really bother me. This doesn't happen with the G70.

My black screen is apparently caused by old FritzDSL (2005) software in combination with a Geforce G71/72/73.