Feature requests

I've been testing SAB with Win 11 IOT Ent 24H2 and have a few issues I would like to put out there for consideration.

1. Under Explorer, could we have the Open-Shell Explorer-type option of placing an icon on Network Shared folders and drives?  I had to install Open-Shell Explorer just to get that back.

2. Under Start Menu, could we have the Open-Shell Menu-type option for Show Shutdown during remote sessions and customizing the shutdown menu items?

3. Search Programs and Files seems to omit quite a few items.  For example, searching for REG returns 12 programs and 4 control panel items under Open-Shell, but only 6 total under SAB.  SAB omitted the result I wanted which was regedit.exe.

4. Could we have a plain white Win 11 start button?

Thanks.

Jim, Aurora CO USA

On 4/4/2024 at 3:39 PM, MidnightInAurora said:

3. Search Programs and Files seems to omit quite a few items.  For example, searching for REG returns 12 programs and 4 control panel items under Open-Shell, but only 6 total under SAB.  SAB omitted the result I wanted which was regedit.exe.

Check your indexing settings, searching for reg pulls up registry editor for me.

4. Could we have a plain white Win 11 start button?

You can add custom start orbs, this already exists.

2. Under Start Menu, could we have the Open-Shell Menu-type option for Show Shutdown during remote sessions and customizing the shutdown menu items?

The start menu is essentially as it was in Windows 7, this is how Windows 7 behaved. I doubt this will be changed since it works as expected. Right click and shutdown, restart from there.

1. Under Explorer, could we have the Open-Shell Explorer-type option of placing an icon on Network Shared folders and drives?  I had to install Open-Shell Explorer just to get that back.

I'm not the dev, but I think he has bigger things to work on right now re: taskbar. Why not just use Open-Shell for this?

SAB's start menu is a reimplementation of the Windows 7 one that hooks into explorer with no external processes running. I would suggest trying it, it's going to feel much more native than what you are getting with OpenShell. 

20 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

SAB's start menu is a reimplementation of the Windows 7 one that hooks into explorer with no external processes running. I would suggest trying it, it's going to feel much more native than what you are getting with OpenShell. 

Twit?  Jeez that was funny.  Maybe pyrates had a little to much coffee this morning.

Anyway, I do like the SAB start menu over Open Shell but we can't do without the power options on the start menu when RDPing into a system.  On the remote system, we have Open Shell configured to give the Lock/Restart/Shutdown options.  SAB doesn't have the equivalent feature.  We can do Alt-F4 on the remote system for the power panel, but no.

No one liked Start11 when we did a demo, and EP and Open Shell have broken Taskbar functionality and corresponding bad attitudes.

SAB is the only product that lets me push the Taskbar to ground and have my way with it.

Well done.

Jim

52 minutes ago, MidnightInAurora said:

Twit?  Jeez that was funny.  Maybe pyrates had a little to much coffee this morning.

Are you referring to the guy on the Explorer Patcher Github calling me a twit because I suggested they rename the installer? I was like I don't even use your app, it kinda sucks but here's a solution.

4 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Are you referring to the guy on the Explorer Patcher Github calling me a twit because I suggested they rename the installer? I was like I don't even use your app, it kinda sucks but here's a solution.

Yeah, the EP Github response.  I read his reply to you and thought "who appointed you Keeper of the Previews?"  He might be under a little pressure.

Anyway, we have our solutions with Open Shell and SAB and all is right with the world.  So much so, that we're moving both 24H2 Iot Ent LTSC 26100 and Server 2025 26085 to a production workstation and production web server for some real-world testing.

Jim

21 minutes ago, MidnightInAurora said:

Yeah, the EP Github response.  I read his reply to you and thought "who appointed you Keeper of the Previews?"  He might be under a little pressure.

Anyway, we have our solutions with Open Shell and SAB and all is right with the world.  So much so, that we're moving both 24H2 Iot Ent LTSC 26100 and Server 2025 26085 to a production workstation and production web server for some real-world testing.

Jim

The systray doesn't work in EP because Tihiy completely rewrote it from scratch for SAB after it was removed in canary.