StartAllBack settings do not fully transfer between PCs

lubierzca

Hello,

I'm planning on buying new pc soon and I want to prepare a script that will apply all the settings from previous instance to a new one, but one of the most important setting do not migrate at all - which is taskbar. All other ones like start menu and explorer works, but can't figure out how can I do it for tasbkar and tray icons. I've created reg file out of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\StartIsBack, but when I apply it to new vm - it doesn't switch to enhanced classic taskbar automatically (even after explorer restart using Stop-Process command) - and no settings are configured as I want them to be. Of course when I do them manually,  it changes right away but I want to avoid manual clicking to a 0. Am I missing something here that I need to additionally copy or it's impossible to do?

Does it make a difference that I'm trying to test in on Home instance of Windows 11 instead of Pro, which I'm currenty using?

That is by design, SAB hooks into explorer and stores its settings where Windows natively would.

I wouldn't transfer these settings between PCs, it'll likely lead to bad registry pointers but you'd have to research where Windows would store these registry values.

In other words, take screenshots and redo is the safest way.

You can export HKCU\Software\StartisBack for some of the settings safely though.

Edited by mackid1993

Posted (edited)

That's unfortunate, but understandable, thanks for reply. I've managed to figured out most of important options, but still can't seem to force taskbar to top of the screen. If someone knows how is that setup on registry level (or any other way) that would be great.

Edited by lubierzca

1 hour ago, lubierzca said:

That's unfortunate, but understandable, thanks for reply. I've managed to figured out most of important options, but still can't seem to force taskbar to top of the screen. If someone knows how is that setup on registry level (or any other way) that would be great.

Just unlock it and drag it.

• 1 month later...

So I have some info to share for anyone coming back to this thread later.

1. Backup HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StartIsBack to save StartAllBack settings
  2. Backup HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage2 to save Start Menu pins.
  3. Check to see if HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage3 exists, back it up if it does.
  4. Set up new computer, reinstall all programs that were pinned. Merge .reg file with SAB settings, merge StartPage2 reg file and StartPage3 reg file if that existed for you.
  5. Reinstall SAB, all settings but systray layout should transfer.

于 2024 年 4 月 20 日上午 11:50,mackid1993 说道:

因此,我有一些信息可以分享给稍后回到该主题的任何人。

1. 备份 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StartIsBack 以保存 StartAllBack 设置
  2. 备份 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage2 以保存“开始”菜单引脚。
  3. 检查HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage3是否存在,如果存在请备份。
  4. 设置新计算机,重新安装所有固定的程序。 将 .reg 文件与 SAB 设置合并,合并 StartPage2 reg 文件和 StartPage3 reg 文件(如果存在)。
  5. 重新安装 SAB,除系统托盘布局外的所有设置都应转移。

Thank you, that's great!