Choppy CD playback

DataMonkey

Has anyone else noticed choppy CD playback with XP? I have a Sony 40X CD which ran fine under Win98SE and NT4.0, but skips during audio CD playback and has errors loading programs from CD. I can copy the program to the local drive and install with no problem. Please let me know if you've had the same problem.

What are using to playback....?

If its media player, it could be that your PC is below spec.

Try turning off visulizations.

I have the same prob on my daughters PC a PII350 with 128mb, yet on my P4 2gig its no problem.

Regards,

BAH

Hi BAH,

I am using MediaPlayer - but my PC is a PIII 650 with 448MB RAM; I wouldn't think resources would be a problem with this machine. Also, I have turned off visualizations. Like Imentioned in my original post, the weird part is that it worked fine under Win98SE.

Any advanced hardware settings on my CD-ROM or DVD-ROM that I can check?

Thanks for any help you can give...!:cool:

Sounds like the specs are ok...

What else have you got running while playing cd's..?

Whay MotherB are u using does it need updated inf drivers for XP...?

Is it Scsi or IDE..?

Or it could simply be an incompatible hardware.

Regards,

BAH

• 7 months later...

Hey Datamonkey I have the same problem with my cd's skipping,wheather I run it on media player,ATI's player,or Realplayer the cd skips.My machine definitley meets the specs.So the way I get around this is I load the cd in the tray and use the second button from the right to close the tray back and no player is initialized but the cd is playing perfectly.To skip to the next track push the same button,and use either the volume control on your speakers or on your cd player.I have an Acer 50x player which I believe is not compatible with XP.I used this player in another sys I have running win2k pro and the same thing happened.I installed an older 24x generic which happens to be an Acer product and voila no problems.I checked the model numbers of the 24x against the HCL and it says it's compatible.Try the work around I mentioned,you won't have the fancy player gui but it won't skip either...............good luck ........................Zipp

you shoud both try get the latest firmware for your drives it may fix it.

i get wmp going choppy some times, be it playing video or music, from disc or webpage or hdd, other players dont do it just wmp.

it doesent do it all the time either, when it does it makes my whole pc run jerky till i eventually get it to close wmp, and then if i where to try play a game id get very low FPS. wierd and annoying but then ive never been a great fan of wmp....

FthrJack,

I found the firmware for my Acer 50x cd rom but how do I flash from dos,or more precisely how can I get to a dos prompt from winxp? .............................thanks zipp

• 1 month later...

I finnally figured it out(actually about a month ago) how to get rid of the choppiness while playing cd's.From the device manager click on the cd player in stalled then properties and uncheck the "enable digital cd audio for this cd rom device" that will take care of it.Same thing happened on my w2kpro system and same positive results....................zipp51.....Oh yeah and disable digital cd playback in win media player as well.

I found the firmware for my Acer 50x cd rom but how do I flash from dos,or more precisely how can I get to a dos prompt from winxp? .............................thanks zipp

Glad to see you've sorted out your CD audio playback problem. For future reference, you can make an MS-DOS boot disk from Windows XP. simply go to My Computer, right click on A:\ and click on Format. Tick the checkbox where it says to make a MS-DOS system disk.

After that, place your firmware/bios files onto floppy.

Some mobo manufacturers say its very risky to flash a mobo from floppy (probably because floppy has slow access speeds or is unreliable) So in that case, copy the firmware/bios files to the RAMDRIVE the ms-dos disk created.

I ain't sure if the WinXP MS-DOS disk makes a RAMDRIVE, but you can always download a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and put the firmware/bios files on a seperate floppy.

• 2 weeks later...