How to install KernelEx for max compatibility? Asking as a beginner

Hi all! Sorry if it's a noob question - I have checked out a bunch of threads on kernelex and there's an overwhelming amount of info on it so far. On retrosystemsrevival blog, the following steps are mentioned:

Extra Compatibility Tips:
KernelEx alone is not enough for some newer programs. To get the best compatibility...
-Implement KernelEx stubs
-Recommended system file updates:
Msvcrt.dll versions 6.10.9848.0, 7.00.9981.0 or 7.10.7031.4
-Tips from jumper
-DIY Extension Items (K452stub.7z, Ktree9.7z, iphlpapi4.7z, Kstub822.zip)
-Updated .dll's are available

I have KernelEx 4.5.2 installed so far. But then there seems to be version 4.5.2016.17 (my understanding is that newer KernelEx versions than this are not for end users) PLUS the steps above. I'll post my version of the steps that I think I should take:

1. Extract Unicows to C:\Windows\System
  2. Install KernelEx 4.5.2 and reboot
  3. Download KexBeta.17.7z, extract to some location, exit to DOS, then copy contents of that archive to C:\Windows\KernelEx. Reboot
  4. Download Kstub822.zip (do I need to install K452stub before this?). Installation instructions of older versions of stubs are mentioned in this thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/157173-kext-diy-kernelex-extensions/. BUT for Kstub822.zip, I don't see any instructions to "modify contents= line in Core.ini"
  5. Once Kstub822 is installed, reboot to be safe I guess. Then install iphlpapi4 by following instructions in post 116 of above thread. Again reboot to be safe
  6. Then put these files in the C:\Windows\System folder
    Msvcrt.dll <- Msvcr70.dll / Msvcr71.dll

Msvcr90.dll 9.00.21022.8

7. Finally I can install these auxiliary updates for increased compatibility: https://msfn.org/board/topic/173302-kernelex-auxiliary-dll-updates/. But again, not clear on how to install, so would be grateful for instructions or link to some post that explains it

Is the above process accurate to get a max compatibility version of kernelex?

I hope this thread can help out anyone else end user who wants to update kernelex in the best way possible. I'll update this post based on your replies. Thanks!

Edited by sk9392

Don't use msvcr71.dll (v7.10.xxxx) as msvcrt.dll. It can cause errors. Use version 6.10.9848.0 or 7.00.9981.0 as msvcrt.dll. And don't use K452stub. Further I recommend to omit iphlpapi4 for now, too. I believe it isn't needed anymore with later KernelEx versions. I never used it, because it caused some problems on ME here. As far as I remember it was Ok on 98SE.

Booting DOS for update is a matter of taste. I've dual-boot systems. The update is also possible in safe mode or with a (linux) live CD. Further jumper wrote a bat installer years ago. Basically, follow jumpers instructions.