LogonUI.exe + High contrast <Dark> theme + enable Taskbar thumbnails

sonyu

is it possible to force taskbar thumbnails with high contrast theme so I don't need to use some alt tab replacement utility to see the thumbnails ?

why?

I discovered these:

www.deviantart.com/eluinstra/art/Zenburn-High-Contrast-Dark-Theme-for-Windows-8-552177110

www.deviantart.com/eluinstra/art/Zenburn-High-Contrast-Dark-Theme-for-Windows10-552175543

about 3 years ago or more I discovered this one:

www.deviantart.com/eversins/art/GreyEveTheme-Windows-10-11-High-Contrast-Theme-643504863

_

www.eightforums.com/threads/special-themes-aerolite-and-high-contrast-variations.25496/

but I'm currently in love with the Zenburn one, just make sure you go to chrome://flags and disable forced colors and then enable dark theme and you'll see the sites correctly and the rest of the OS will be dark themed.

I know the alternatives: uxthemepatcher and aero dark theme... but I can't find one like Zenburn

best sokution to see the thumbnails is to keep Aero ON, I know, but I'm sure it can be forced...

so...

perfect solution: hight contrast with thumbnails

good solution: Aero Lite dark theme sure thumbnails will work (I tried copy-paste of .theme [Control Panel\Colors] into aerolite.theme but nothing... )

ok solution: aero dark theme...

I think there is a way with something like

SetWindowCompositionAttribute.exe class Shell_TrayWnd blur false

winclassic.net/thread/166/running-classic-theme-based-themes

www.sevenforums.com/themes-styles/342508-there-aero-high-contrast-theme-available.html

but I'm doing tests...

web.archive.org/web/20201230121231/http://www.glass8.eu/files/SetWindowCompositionAttribute.7z

msfn.org/board/topic/174377-windows-10-how-to-make-taskbar-get-aero/page/2/

SetWindowCompositionAttribute.exe class Shell_TrayWnd accent 0 0 0 0

SetWindowCompositionAttribute.exe class Shell_TrayWnd blur true

tried also..

www.deviantart.com/anno0001/art/Taskbar-Blur-Toggle-0-2-0-412358153

without any luck, do you know if the thumbnails can be forced using some autoit script or any similar .exe and calling DwmEnableComposition ?

THANKS

Edited by sonyu

• sonyu changed the title to How can I enable Taskbar thumbnails with High contrast theme?

Just found it was related to explorer.exe from NT 6.1 (Windows 7) on Windows 8.0 (with Ex7ForW8), taskbar thumbnails don't work with high contrast theme & explorer 6.1...

On the other side, I don't know if it's related to the tweaks I have applied in registry, but when I use ctrl alt del the HIGH CONTRAST theme breaks and it's transformed into AERO LITE theme and the window backgrounds and menus are immediately changed to white bg... I need to check this with a fresh install...

So now I have thumbnails working with Windows 8.0 NT 6.2 default explorer.exe and if I close the process in taskmanager and I run w7 explorer, the thumbnails disappear and I have the list instead on mouseover the icon...

I need to do some test with themes services on/off, metro on/off, ctrl alt del & registry with and without the tweaks.... 

Edited by sonyu

• sonyu changed the title to High contrast <Dark> theme + enable Taskbar thumbnails + LogonUI.exe

I have found a way to make taskbar thumbnails work without breaking the theme background (reverted to white) but I need to know how to done with command line.

1 - select high contrast black theme zenburn

2 - control alt del = LogonUI.exe breaks backgrounds but if I have uxthemepatcher the background remains black or SecureUxTheme (explained in link ) https://github.com/namazso/SecureUxTheme

LogonUI fix

Locking Windows makes LogonUI reset certain colors and ignore the currently set style. This tool can fix this problem. A picture comparison showing the Task Manager opened after locking Windows without and with the fix can be seen here

logonui_comparison.png

(screenshot: still hapenning on w10 with logonui.exe...)

3 - startisback, select different start orb then click apply, now taskbar thumbnails appears on explorer 7 in w8.0

4 - make sure you run chrome.exe before step 3 cause for some reason with dark theme flag enabled, the background is reverted to white if you don't have chrome running before step 3.

so this is related to Aero & High Contrast Themes & explorer 7 on w8.0

I've used UXTheme Multi-Patcher 9.0 for Windows 8/8.1 (2013) available in neowin

_

Classic Control Panel can help too to restore the backgrounds if you change Window & WindowFrame options and then  Apply [Now]

_

It's not a clean way to get the thumbnails working, will be better if I can play with dwm or aero using command line... if you know how to do it?

Edited by sonyu

• sonyu changed the title to LogonUI.exe + High contrast <Dark> theme + enable Taskbar thumbnails