.msstlyes can't be loaded in memory

You know, I just saved a theme file from the display/Themes, this is how the path to the msstyles file is written:

Path=%WinDir%resources\Themes\MetallicShades\MetallicShades.msstyles

I guess the '\' after %WinDir% isn't necessary. I loaded the theme with and without the slash.

<shrug>

Yep, Crazy it is. I've always inlcuded the slash after %...%. Never noticed how windows theme loader did it until now... :)

My system doesn't seem to recognize %ResourceDir%. %SystemRoot%, %WinDir%, etc all work as they should but not %ResourceDir%. Ah, I guess I need to set that myself if I want to use it. No problem...

Cheers,

I never set ResourceDir... perhaps it is because I have StyleXP 2.0 installed? it may have set the variable... I use Style XP to change my icon sets :)

is there a way to load a themexp .iconset into a theme file?

or, can someone list all of the places in the registry to change the icons? I have worked out a few of them based on other theme files (my comp, network ,recycle, folders, help, run) but can't find the rest of them

Ok the visual style works fine now. And I can finnaly open the .theme file correct :) Thanks for all your help guys. But now I've got another slight problem with the theme file. It doesn't set the wallpaper specified in the .theme file, it just sets the default WindowsXP wallpaper. :s

MetallicShades.theme:

; Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1995-2001
[Theme]DisplayName=Metallic Shades
; My Computer[CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe,0
; My Documents[CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon]DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\mydocs.dll,0
; My Network Places[CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]DefaultValue=%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll,17
; Recycle Bin[CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]full=%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll,32empty=%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll,31
[Control Panel\Cursors]Arrow=Help=AppStarting=Wait=NWPen=No=SizeNS=SizeWE=Crosshair=IBeam=SizeNWSE=SizeNESW=SizeAll=UpArrow=DefaultValue=Windows defaultDefaultValue.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2043
[Control Panel\Desktop]Wallpaper=%WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Alilarter01.jpgWallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036TileWallpaper=0WallpaperStyle=2Pattern=ScreenSaveActive=0
[VisualStyles]Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\MetallicShades\MetallicShades.msstylesColorStyle=MetallicSize=NormalSize
[boot]SCRNSAVE.EXE=
[MasterThemeSelector]MTSM=DABJDKTThemeColorBPP=8

I'm very sure the wallpaper is in the right place! Because If I copy and paste "%WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Alilarter01.jpg" into explorer it nicely shows me the image, so the path and file aren't wrong.

Anyone who can help me on this one? Thanx a lot again :rolleyes:

correct...

you have to use a registry tweak to set the background because windows installation defaults to the bliss.jpg

or, you can overwrite the bliss.jp_ cabinet archive with whatever image you want, rename it to bliss.jpg do a MODIFYPE on it and compress it to bliss.jp_

after windows is installed, if you set the theme through the display properties, you will see it sets the background

Try removing Wallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036.

[Control Panel\Desktop]Wallpaper=%WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Alilarter01.jpgWallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036

I'm not sure what that does but when I add something similiar to my theme file, it does the same thing as yours.

Try removing Wallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036.
[Control Panel\Desktop]

Wallpaper=%WinDir%\Web\Wallpaper\Alilarter01.jpg

Wallpaper.MUI=@themeui.dll,-2036

I'm not sure what that does but when I add something similiar to my theme file, it does the same thing as yours.

done and working :rolleyes:

thanx again m8 u rock :)

Looking at themui.dll with reshacker, I found that bliss.bmp is coded into that dll. Still not sure what wallpaper.mui is supposed to do. Saving a theme from the display/Themes on my system, that wallpaper.mui reference was not present in the theme file. Haven't found anything useful with google yet. Still, I think you should be okay as is, Guuz