I still don't get it

When I create the Image from using CDImage and create winXP image then use Nero 6314 version It still tells me that I must Put the WinXPSP 1 cd in to the floppy drive, I have everything pointing to the CDROM drive, in all the files I know that i can edit, even a custom CD.Txt file i have in the root. I'm not sure how to use cd-shell, because its an image file and Don't i need to use that image file for the Microsoft Logo whatever .img so i can load XP onto a bootable disk?

I guess i'm just completely confused now on where to go next. :)

When using nero. choose "Disc image or saved project", next on the open dialog box, change the file open type to "Image Files" not "All nero compilations and images", then locate your file and burn, it doesnt ask me for anything else.

Let me know if this doesnt work and i will think some more. :) You might be past this point

If it says put the xp in the floppy drive that means that your missing the root files that identify the cdrom. They are like win51 win5l win51.sp1, etc.... sorry I cant be specific with filenames but I can tell you that is your problem. your missing those files.

I feel you, 1n]d[y.

Of late, CDImage has been giving me the same problem. I truly don't know why it started behaving this way.

So what I've been using now is UltraISO. The .iso file created may be a few megs bigger than with CDImage but at least I'm not getting any errors.

Maybe try it without the -o switch. Of course you won't get an optimized image, but it's worth a shot.

I've changed the Microsoft Image everytime I redo the xpcd tree. So far I have re-done everything from scratch 3 times now for 3 different PC's. I can practically write these batches and registry tweaks inmy sleep. I'm also more weary of my mistakes in referencing files to specific folders. I still don't understand how to make a bootable cd without it pointing to the A:\ at startup.

My Microsoft Image file, I don't believe I have ever made it to that point where it expands itself into and image on my screen. I can't even make it to the partitioning screen. It Points to my A:\ before I can do anything.

I know its not my batch work, its just getting Winxp as soon as it boots into the DOSGUI to see that the I386SP1 is on the my Cdrom.

Its pretty disappointing that now i have gone thru 100 cd's and none of them are workable, the ones I did make bootable are wanting to go into my A:\.

In nero, I setup the cd for "No Emulation" - I 've tried them all actually just experimenting and to no avail.

It takes allot to wear on me, before I'm completely sick of everything and will just flush this project.

Regards,

Indy

does the thing work even in a VirtualPC?

I honestly didn't understand the whole "Microsoft Image" thing. or the "expands itself into and image on my screen"

how are you calling CDIMAGE?

You're trying to install XP Professional right?

Did you ever alter DOSNET.INF or TXTSETUP.SIF?

By "Microsoft Image" are you refering to the boot sector?

I've attached the one from XPCreate.....might help, but then again, I'm not understanding half the stuff you're saying besides the thing doesn't work.

XPCTBOOT.BIN

XPCTBOOT.BIN

it sounds like he is using the wrong cd boot image file...

if you have created the ISO file with CDIMAGE, then burnt that directly onto a CD using Nero or Clone or something, when you boot from the CD, you should see the text "Press any key to boot from CD . . ." If you see this, then your "Microsoft Image" is working properly, that is all it does... it does not expand itself onto the screen into any pretty pictures or anything... it does not drop you at an A:\ prompt... if you press any key it boots into text mode setup straight away

have you tested it in a virtual pc environment?

to make sure you have the right boot image, use ISO Buster to extract the boot sector "Microsoft Corporation.img" from an orginal XP CD to a file boot.img and use that when running CDIMAGE

about cdshell, cdshells folder is now labeled "boot". If he gets to the "insert cd in floppy" then his boot image is working...Check your I386 folder for a sp1.cat...you should have that file in there whether or not you have a sp1.cab.

Also did you hexedit setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif? If this was part of a multiboot cd (considering youre using cdshell it very well could be), then those files prolly point to the wrong path...hexedit setupldr.bin and search for i386, if you dont find any, then there is a problem...to find how to fix that, open txtsetup.sif and goto SourcePath (I believe, or SetupPath) and see what it says...if it is just a \ then all is fine...if it says anything else, delete all except for \ but take note of what it said...the first folder (should be 4 letters) will be what you need to search for in setupldr.bin and replace with i386.

[bM]Crusher Posted:  if you press any key it boots into text mode setup straight away; have you tested it in a virtual pc environment?

yes, I get that far. When the Text gui comes up it does the usual stuff as if i put in the 1st Floppy disk was loading. Then prompts me for the A:\ as it doesn't see CD drive any longer.

VPC - Yes. It says the image is good.

---------------------------------------------------

Alanoll Posted:

0. I honestly didn't understand the whole "Microsoft Image" thing. or the "expands itself into and image on my screen"

1. how are you calling CDIMAGE?

2. You're trying to install XP Professional right?

3. Did you ever alter DOSNET.INF or TXTSETUP.SIF?

4.By "Microsoft Image" are you refering to the boot sector?

5. Installing from CD?

0. Niether did I until I read [bM]Crusher comment about what the MS Image Sector does ""Press any key to boot from CD . . ." If you see this, then your "Microsoft Image" is working properly, that is all it does..."

1. I have it in the root of my XPCD.

2. Yes.

3. I did exactly what it told me to do on this website for the DOSNET.inf I added the Lines: - from Slipstream Rollup page 12

From Page 12

[---begin]

accwiz.exe

crypt32.dll

cryptsvc.dll

hh.exe

hhctrl.ocx

hhsetup.dll

html32.cnv

itircl.dll

itss.dll

locator.exe

magnify.exe

migwiz.exe

mrxsmb.sys

msconv97.dll

narrator.exe

newdev.dll

ntdll.dll

ntkrnlmp.exe

ntkrnlpa.exe

ntkrpamp.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

ole32.dll

osk.exe

pchshell.dll

raspptp.sys

rpcrt4.dll

rpcss.dll

shdocvw.dll

shell32.dll

shmedia.dll

srrstr.dll

srv.sys

sysmain.sdb

urlmon.dll

user32.dll

win32k.sys

winsrv.dll

zipfldr.dll

[---end]

From Page 12

[---begin]

[OptionalSrcDirs]

SvcPack

[---end]

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

---------------------------------------

Posted by Alanoll and Evilvoice: Also did you hexedit setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif?

Nope, never knew they existed. If they are not in the Unattended XP Install Instructions I did not even know it existed. But it may be a place to look to see why its pointing to my A: instead of my cdrom.

----------------------------------------

Posted by MasterControl: just making sure you've done this...before putting the CD in your computer, make sure you boot, and while it is booting press delete, and in the BIOS settings, make sure your boot order is: 1. CD Drive; 2. Floppy; 3. HDD.

Yep, was the 1st thing I did.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you all for your Insight I understood everything that [bM]Crusher had to say and it explains allot of unanswered frustrating questions I had floating around in my head.

I didn't understand how to make cdshell to work - even with instructions - It did not compute. So I didn't mess with it. :)

-----------------------

On another note, I have taken everything back to Formula and restarted a fresh Topology, recreating everything and staying away from the Eldergeek Slipstream CD tutorial, it just made things worse and I think what I did in there corrupted things I had made from the http://unattended.msfn.org/ tutorial.

I am also not doing a Cdrom install anymore I am doing it all from the Systemdrive - the old fashioned way. It gets to complex and I have Midterms coming up and I don't want to be dwelling on this cd while I'm taking my Law exams. :rolleyes: