Anyone remembers .NET Passport accounts?

UCyborg

I recently dug out the old book about Windows XP, its original title goes like "Microsoft Windows XP step by step". The book also describes creating .NET Passport account. Does anyone remember those? I think I used it back then to be able to use Windows Messenger. How times have changed, today you have monstrosities like Skype and MS Teams. Regarding mail, I started with Hotmail back then, maybe that account also covered it.

Then I remember there was MSN Explorer, but I didn't fully understand what it was all about.

Has anyone used .NET Passport account back then and for what purposes?

Edited by UCyborg

Oh yes, I remember that .NET Passport accounts thing, and when it popped up in taskbar: "Add your .NET Passport to Windows XP!", but I never got to make an .NET Passport account, unfortunately.

Edited by mina7601

I wonder for how long that account functionality worked.

After I don't remember how many years after XP was released, Windows Live programs (Messenger, Mail etc.) were released, which you could use in place of Windows Messenger, Outlook Express etc.

It all seems so far away, I was in the elementary school when Windows XP was new and Windows 95 was still used at that place for few years at least after XP was released.

I also remember finding an old article some time ago that I'm unable to find again, it said something along lines of Microsoft extending Windows 98 support for the sake of some poor countries, which included Slovenia of the time.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:17 PM, UCyborg said:

After I don't remember how many years after XP was released, Windows Live programs (Messenger, Mail etc.) were released, which you could use in place of Windows Messenger, Outlook Express etc.

XP release date: October 25, 2001
Windows Live programs (Essentials) release date: August 25, 2006

That's 4 years, 10 months (1765 days)

On 5/14/2023 at 4:17 PM, UCyborg said:

I also remember finding an old article some time ago that I'm unable to find again, it said something along lines of Microsoft extending Windows 98 support for the sake of some poor countries, which included Slovenia of the time.

Hmm, you're probably referring to this article.

Edited by mina7601