Intel HID Event Filter driver with modded ACPI Windows 7.

Jakob99

I managed to finally create a .inf file for ACPIEx that makes it bind to a virtual ACPI device.
I took Microsoft's loopback network adapter .inf file (msloop.inf) as example to write a new one.

After boot the event log no longer shows that the driver couldn't load due to unavailable hardware.
However it just silently fails to load, even if I bind it to a valid ACPI HWID (ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08).

ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08 is the ACPI HWID that the normal 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System Device' is bound to.
And acpiapic is the one that the computer itself uses, but acpiapic doesn't use need driver to work.

I thought that adding a new legacy device with the Device Manager and giving it a new .inf that uses the same ACPI HWID could work.
However the driver still not loading seems to hint at a bigger issue, which is that we will need to backport KMDF 1.13 to Windows 7.

This has been done in the past with KMDF when Windows 7's KMDF 1.11 was backported to Windows XP.
We have to essentially backport KMDF 1.13 to Windows 7, by finding out where all its files are on a Windows 8.1 OS.

For registering the new KMDF 1.13 with Windows 7, we can  make a clean Windows 7 SP1 install, then make a snapshot of before & after the official KMDF 1.11 update is installed.
This will reveal in which places of the registry we need to register a new unofficial version, and which kind of data we need to write.

For the current ACPIEx driver it's uploaded here, but it still doesn't work:

https://www.udrop.com/KqcD/ACPIEx___SpbCx-Win7-testing.zip (md5: a9367f0922e9f95a5ae1b14aca75ec58)

ACPIEx & SpbCx-Win7-testing.zip

24 minutes ago, kar1 said:

I managed to finally create a .inf file for ACPIEx that makes it bind to a virtual ACPI device.
I took Microsoft's loopback network adapter .inf file (msloop.inf) as example to write a new one.

After boot the event log no longer shows that the driver couldn't load due to unavailable hardware.
However it just silently fails to load, even if I bind it to a valid ACPI HWID (ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08).

ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08 is the ACPI HWID that the normal 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System Device' is bound to.
And acpiapic is the one that the computer itself uses, but acpiapic doesn't use need driver to work.

I thought that adding a new legacy device with the Device Manager and giving it a new .inf that uses the same ACPI HWID could work.
However the driver still not loading seems to hint at a bigger issue, which is that we will need to backport KMDF 1.13 to Windows 7.

This has been done in the past with KMDF when Windows 7's KMDF 1.11 was backported to Windows XP.
We have to essentially backport KMDF 1.13 to Windows 7, by finding out where all its files are on a Windows 8.1 OS.

For registering the new KMDF 1.13 with Windows 7, we can  make a clean Windows 7 SP1 install, then make a snapshot of before & after the official KMDF 1.11 update is installed.
This will reveal in which places of the registry we need to register a new unofficial version, and which kind of data we need to write.

For the current ACPIEx driver it's uploaded here, but it still doesn't work:

https://www.udrop.com/KqcD/ACPIEx___SpbCx-Win7-testing.zip (md5: a9367f0922e9f95a5ae1b14aca75ec58)

ACPIEx & SpbCx-Win7-testing.zip 215.59 kB · 0 downloads

Interesting. Idk where the KMDF files would be stored at on a Windows 8.1 and 7 installation. Maybe someone here could help out.

• 1 month later...

Under the Intel Serial IO A368 and A369 devices (currently labeled Intel Device), I found this under "Parent" in the DM: ACPI\PNP0A08\0

This is also present under the Unknown Device. Updating this turns it into the Dell Free Fall sensor, but with a yellow mark (idr the exact error code I get when I updated it last). This suggests whatever that ID is tied to is "broken" and that getting it working will result in all three aforementioned devices working (I don't care about the Free Fall sensor, I just happened to see that it has the same "Parent" as the Serial IO devices).

EDIT: This id is also shared by the already working UHD630, meaning, this may not be the issue.

Edited by Jakob99