Windows XP Pro x64 can be very finicky

ssybesma

This OS has always presented a challenge to me because some apps won't install on it that will install on Windows XP Pro x32.

There seems to be a much bigger divide on this OS between its 32-bit 'sibling' than most other versions of Windows.

May have had something to do with the code base of x64 being based on Server 2003 while XP 32-bit was not.

Kind of a shame because this OS had a lot of potential.

Later OSes like Vista and 7 seemed to close that compatibility gap much more.

So the key is finding the app versions that makes it happy, whether that has to be a 64-bit app or not.

I would like to develop my XP x64 Virtualbox VM so that it's just as useful as my XP Pro 32-bit VM.

Steve

Edited by ssybesma
minor

• 1 month later...

I don't understand. I use XP 64 as my main OS and I never notice compatibility issues with software. Most software that run on XP 32 work fine in XP 64. If your motherboard is from 2014 or so the drivers work fine too. I play older games here like the first 3 Arkham, Tomb Raider Underworld etc. and run fine in XP 64. Even games that say it's not supported run fine. Like Last Remnant. Emulators like PPsspp work great even though when you go to system info it says unknown OS.