How to install Windows Vista on a Surface Pro 1 or any other UEFI-only device

GD 2W10

If you are trying to install Vista on a Surface Pro or UEFI-only machine, this tutorial is for you.
This tutorial shows you how to install Windows Vista on a Surface Pro. This tutorial is meant for the Surface Pro 1, but could work on any other UEFI-only device, which it should, but not guaranteed.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Boot the USB. This ISO uses a Windows 10 PE, but has a Windows Vista install.wim.

2. Open command prompt by pressing "Shift+F10"

3. On the command prompt, type in the following commands:

diskpart

sel dis 0

clean

conv gpt

cre par efi size=100

form quick fs=fat32

assign letter w

cre par pri

form quick

assign letter c

exit

D:\ (where your USB is)

cd sources

dism /apply-image /imagefile:install.wim /index:1 /applydir:C:\

- If DISM doesn't work, go to D:\support\tools\gimagex and deploy the image with gimagex.exe in the x64 folder

bcdboot C:\Windows /s W:

4. Open up Notepad, and click "Open" or "Save As". Enable all files to be viewed. Go to W:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and copy the BCD file and paste it onto the Windows Vista partition.

5. Go back to diskpart by typing "diskpart" in the command prompt.

6. Type in the following commands:

sel dis 0

sel vol w

form quick fs=fat32

exit

7.. Go back to Notepad, and click "Open" or "Save As". Enable all files to be viewed. Go to the USB drive, then go to the FlashBootPro folder, then copy the "EFI" folder.

8. Go to W:\ and paste the EFI folder.

9. Go to the Windows Vista partition and cut "BCD".

10. Go to W:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and paste "BCD" on the folder.

11. Reboot. You should be logged in to the Administrator account. Narrator is enabled on the device. If the screen is not displaying anything, go to screen resolution and set it to 1024x768. The screen should now work.

Proof of Windows Vista working on Surface Pro 1:

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you try to install Vista on a SP2 or higher or a post-Ivy Bridge machine, your machine will have a lot of bugs and issues as all Vista post-Ivy Bridge machines do.

Edited by GD 2W10

7 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

Yes it does. 

Hi, update. Sorry it's so late depending on your timezone. So I'm kinda stuck on what to do for step 7 in regedit. I don't exactly know what to change. I'm a bit confused. Do you have a screenshot of a detailed list of what I need to change? Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, elp403 said:

Hi, update. Sorry it's so late depending on your timezone. So I'm kinda stuck on what to do for step 7 in regedit. I don't exactly know what to change. I'm a bit confused. Do you have a screenshot of a detailed list of what I need to change? Thanks in advance.

I actually forgot to change the instructions lol. You don't need to do that. After you have deployed Windows Vista, do the bcdboot command and add the FlashBootPro files. Then restart.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:32 PM, GD 2W10 said:

If you are trying to install Vista on a Surface Pro or UEFI-only machine, this tutorial is for you.
This tutorial shows you how to install Windows Vista on a Surface Pro. This tutorial is meant for the Surface Pro 1, but could work on any other UEFI-only device, which it should, but not guaranteed.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Boot the USB. This ISO uses a Windows 10 PE, but has a Windows Vista install.wim.

2. Open command prompt by pressing "Shift+F10"

3. On the command prompt, type in the following commands:

diskpart

sel dis 0

clean

conv gpt

cre par efi size=100

form quick fs=fat32

assign letter w

cre par pri

form quick

assign letter c

exit

D:\ (where your USB is)

cd sources

dism /apply-image /imagefile:install.wim /index:1 /applydir:C:\

- If DISM doesn't work, go to D:\support\tools\gimagex and deploy the image with gimagex.exe in the x64 folder

bcdboot C:\Windows /s W:

4. Open up Notepad, and click "Open" or "Save As". Enable all files to be viewed. Go to W:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and copy the BCD file and paste it onto the Windows Vista partition.

5. Go back to diskpart by typing "diskpart" in the command prompt.

6. Type in the following commands:

sel dis 0

sel vol w

form quick fs=fat32

exit

7.. Go back to Notepad, and click "Open" or "Save As". Enable all files to be viewed. Go to the USB drive, then go to the FlashBootPro folder, then copy the "EFI" folder.

8. Go to W:\ and paste the EFI folder.

9. Go to the Windows Vista partition and cut "BCD".

10. Go to W:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot and paste "BCD" on the folder.

11. Reboot. You should be logged in to the Administrator account. Narrator is enabled on the device. If the screen is not displaying anything, go to screen resolution and set it to 1024x768. The screen should now work.

Proof of Windows Vista working on Surface Pro 1:

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you try to install Vista on a SP2 or higher or a post-Ivy Bridge machine, your machine will have a lot of bugs and issues as all Vista post-Ivy Bridge machines do.

Updated instructions.

5 hours ago, elp403 said:

Okay. Will this work with the free version of FlashBootPro, or do I need the paid version.

You don't need FlashBootPro itself, just the EFI files. Download XP2ESD by @George King, and look in the "apps" folder.

Edited by GD 2W10

On 2/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, elp403 said:

Hello, MSFN!

So, a few days ago I got the idea to put Vista on my Dell Inspiron 3880. Due to Vista releasing way before UEFI started being used, Vista simply does not boot on a Class 3 system. I have tried UEFISeven... but ummm... yeah it doesn't work. Just a black screen. So, I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions to get Vista on my computer. Yes, I know my PC is new, and that Vista is old, but in fact I'm typing this on Windows 7 on said system. If you know a way to get Vista on Class 3, please let me know. I have tried the following:

-UEFISeven

-Windows Vista on its own bootloader

...yeah that's it. 

While I'm posting about Vista, I might as well talk about potential needed drivers if anyone has been able to mod them. Most notably, the Intel Wireless AC-3165 and the Intel UHD Graphics 630*... which both are usable on Windows 7

So if anyone could help me, that'd be awesome, however I'm keeping low expectations for now.

Thanks everyone in advance!

I just discovered your article. You are trying to install Windows Vista on Post-Ivy Bridge hardware. Vista, specifically x64, tends to have weird glitches on post-Ivy Bridge hardware, such as certain services not starting automatically. It is possible to install Vista on UEFI Class 3, as you already know I have done, but the Surface Pro 1 I used was pre-Haswell. I don't recommend using UEFISeven, from my personal experience, FlashBootPro EFI files would work better. Like stated before, @George King on MyDigitalLife has made a program called XP2ESD, download that, and in the apps folder, copy the efi folder in the FlashBootPro to your EFI partition, while keeping the BCD file. You also must have a SATA AHCI hard drive. If you don't, you will have to integrate NVME drivers into the ISO.