Microsoft Added Secure Boot And UEFI To Windows 7

legacyfan

UEFI Class 3 systems will need a workaround due to video driver issues 

Judgment day for Windows 7 and 8 has finally arrived. While we've known this was coming for a while, Microsoft had a final surprise for Windows 7 users: anyone still needing critical security updates for these operating systems can rely on 0patch for another two years.

Microsoft delivered the final updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8 through extended security update (ESU) this week, closing the book on the aging operating systems. The China Software Development Network blog discovered that the update adds UEFI secure boot to Windows 7, but it appears to be a flawed implementation. Read More Here https://www.techspot.com/news/97228-final-windows-7-8-patch-here-adding-secure.html

Edited by legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to Microsoft Added Secure Boot And UEFI To Windows 7 (but it's flawed)

Great news...  I wouldn't call it a 'flawed' implementation -- but rather a limited implementation.  In laymen's terms, if your hardware is too new, it won't work.  But in other words, when it works, it works completely fine.  I always install Windows 7 in UEFI mode (Windows 7 has a UEFI mode without secure boot), and now Secure Boot will be a great benefit, not to mention two more years of updates.

Time to back up my laptop and do a new install.

If/when Chrome is successfully backported to Windows 7, I no longer see the urgency to move to 8.1.

Edited by mockingbird

• legacyfan changed the title to Microsoft Added Secure Boot And UEFI To Windows 7