How can I install Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate on a Microsoft Surface Go?

RandomUser101

Hey there!

So, I want to install Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate on my Surface Go. I just don't know how to install it.

The specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i5 1035G1

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics

RAM: 4 GB (3.60 GB usable)

SSD: Hynix hC8aP> with 64 GB of storage

So, yeah, if anyone knows, I would love to install Win 7.

Goodbye!

3 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

Might be?

That seems like a link to a search results page with *anything* related to the Surface Pro and or the Surface 7, if you can find and post a link to one of the results on that page that actually documents that windows 7 can actually be installed on a Surface Pro, that would count as a good answer (BTW to another question, since OP asked about a Surface Go, not a Pro), right now it seems like a generic "search for it".

jaclaz

1 minute ago, legacyfan said:

I fixed my post above with the right video

The right video link, as the video in itself is "wrong", the first thing they say is that they are not going to actually install windows 7, but rather that they are going to install the Windows 7 inside a VM (Virtual Machine) running on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Anyway the OP has seen people installing 7 on modern hardware, so possibly he could ask those people how they installed it, though I have to remind that modern hardware is not a synonym of a Microsoft Surface, and particularly not of a Surface Go.

I don't think it is possible at all, due to the peculiarities of Surface's (generally) hardware (namely the UEFI only and - if I recall correctly - GOP only video[1]), but additionally the Surface GO is a relatively recent model and I doubt that - even if *somehow* you can get past the two mentioned roadblocks - appropriate drivers can be found for it.

jaclaz

[1] there are actually workarounds for these - though complex and risky - that may apply to some "modern" hardware, but I doubt specifically to the Surface

14 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

The right video link, as the video in itself is "wrong", the first thing they say is that they are not going to actually install windows 7, but rather that they are going to install the Windows 7 inside a VM (Virtual Machine) running on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Anyway the OP has seen people installing 7 on modern hardware, so possibly he could ask those people how they installed it, though I have to remind that modern hardware is not a synonym of a Microsoft Surface, and particularly not of a Surface Go.

I don't think it is possible at all, due to the peculiarities of Surface's (generally) hardware (namely the UEFI only and - if I recall correctly - GOP only video[1]), but additionally the Surface GO is a relatively recent model and I doubt that - even if *somehow* you can get past the two mentioned roadblocks - appropriate drivers can be found for it.

jaclaz

[1] there are actually workarounds for these - though complex and risky - that may apply to some "modern" hardware, but I doubt specifically to the Surface

I don't know. I mean, I did see people install it on modern hardware. I mean, one YouTuber, MattKC, successfully installed MacOS on a Surface Pro, so I'd doubt that Windows 7 cannot be installed on a Surface Go. I could try using Rufus and burning a Windows 7 Disc Image to the USB as a setup file. Maybe that'll work.

You could attempt it the unga bunga caveman way, and make a bootable usb image, just to try it. (´• ω •`)
If you can, try to install in CSM bios mode; while 7 can be installed via UEFI, modifications to the disk image will probably be needed.
I also see that the storage of the laptop could potentially be an emmc drive, so if windows does not detect the drive during setup, you'd have to load your own drivers in.
Though, I may be getting ahead of myself. If you really want to, I'd just recommend to try setting up from USB as is, and going from there. I advise to proceed with caution, and have a back-up plan if necessary, especially if the computer in question needs to be operational.

18 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Does "CSM bios mode" exist on a Surface Go? :dubbio:

jaclaz

I have no clue, personally. Σ(°△°|||)
I never owned a Surface go nor do I know anyone who does, and some searches don't really yield any results. I see that the Surface PRO doesn't have CSM, I don't know about the surface GO though. I was kinda throwin it out there, but seeing as it is a newer laptop (by microsoft, of all things) my wager is that it doesn't.