Guide to build roytams browser on MSVC

1. Hardware

Certainly more powerful computer you have, more faster building your will get then, consider two cores CPU and 4G RAM will be sufficient. Also i suggest to have two hdds, the first for source, compiler, build tools and the second for output.

2. Virtual drive

If you have more RAM it is good to make virtual drives, no need second hdd then. Why this you ask, so building things such as browsers put heavy stress on the hdd, with ramdrive you save hdds life and increase building speed greatly. For last time i used 10gb drive for all stuff except compiler

3. Software

3.0 OS

For msvc build win7+ is required,, and assuming you have x64

3.1 Git

Download at https://git-scm.com and install, i did not try portable, but you can i think.

3.2 Compiler

I do not like regular Visual Studio, with its junk and onlineness requirement, so i do not use it. Good Microsoft cares for me too, and made available good build tools without junk. They are in the iso file, and ready for usage anywhere, no need to do install. Download, unpack or mount iso. EWDK with Visual Studio Build Tools 15.6

May want to delete files vctip.exe in "Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.13.26128\bin\Hostx64\x64" and same on x86, they leak data to internet (spyware and telemetry)

3.3 DirectX SDK

Download june 2010 and install

3.4 Mozilla build tools

i use version 3.2 But for building on winxp the latest version is 2.2 You are to craft own bat file for use with alternate compiler. Write your actual paths there and put inside MozillaBuild floder (C:\mozilla-build).

assume EWDK on G:

@ECHO OFF
SET TOOLCHAIN=32-bit
SET MOZILLABUILD=%~dp0
SET MOZ_TOOLS=%MOZILLABUILD%moztools
SET INCLUDE="G:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.13.26128\include";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\shared";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\um";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\winrt";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\ucrt"
SET LIB="G:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.13.26128\lib\x86";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Lib\10.0.16299.0\um\x86";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Lib\10.0.16299.0\ucrt\x86"
SET PATH="G:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.13.26128\bin\Hostx64\x86";"G:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.13.26128\bin\Hostx64\x64";"G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.16299.0\x86";%PATH%

%MOZILLABUILD%msys\bin\bash --login -i

(bat file may be need rewrite)

3.5 Other software

For virtual drive SoftPerfect RAM drive free

4. Source

4.0 Download source

Your are type commands in the command line, i prefer far manager

assume you installed git on c:\dev\git

C:\dev\git\bin\git clone --no-checkout https://github.com/roytam1/UXP.git

you will get new folder UXP where there actual source packed inside .git folder

4.1 .mozconfig

Enter to the UXP folder and create there text file named .mozconfig this will be your building config

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=d:/dev/uxp.32
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --enable-application=application/basilisk
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -GF"
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-skia
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-webspeech

WIN32_REDIST_DIR="G:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\VC\Redist\MSVC\14.13.26020\x86\Microsoft.VC141.CRT"
WIN_UCRT_REDIST_DIR="G:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs\x86"

Pay attentions on this things

4.1.1 MOZ_OBJDIR

This is where it will get built files, may out anything valid path, prefer another hdd or ramdrive.

4.1.2 --enable-application

This choose what it will build basilisk-serpent or palemoon-newmoon, or other thing any anotherapp\anotherstuff

4.1.3 MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS

Usually when you build all computer power you have is ocuppied, therefore you hardly can do other things, however with mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j1"  it will build slower time but for example you can play heavy 3d game in the same time.

4.2 Unpack source and apply changes

Unpack source for custom branch (assume custom is right branch in roytams source)

C:\dev\git\bin\git checkout custom

apply patches if needed or edit files by hand

C:\dev\git\bin\git apply --ignore-whitespace file.patch

4.3 Save changes to the git

If you not going to publish dont bother, thoug i can write about.

5. Building

launch your bat file inside mozillabuild (look 3.4)

assume you source folder in C:\dev\uxp

type cd /c/dev/uxp then enter

type .\mach build then enter

So it begins, if you set another destination drive building will stop with message: 

1:23.14 ValueError: path is on drive c:, start on drive d:
1:23.18 *** Fix above errors and then restart with\

Well, let them fix: edit the following file
d:\dev\uxp.32\_virtualenv\Lib\ntpath.py
go to the lin 527 and put # signs, this will cancel the stupid code

#        else:
#            raise ValueError("path is on drive %s, start on drive %s"
#                                                % (path_prefix, start_prefix))

Keep then _virtualenv to not bother with this again

If you get error you can look for details in D:\dev\uxp.32\.mozbuild\last_log.json
That's all for now, happy building...

Edited by feodor2
more about ram drive

21 hours ago, feodor2 said:

4.2 Unpack source and apply changes

Unpack source for custom branch (assume custom is right branch in roytams source)

C:\dev\git\bin\git checkout custom

for a note: if you're building default build, i.e. SSE2 build, that is the correct branch.

for SSE/IA32 build, `ia32` branch should be used instead.

and for building boc-uxp, hbl-uxp, or other applications that is not in {UXP-root}\application, `custom-platform` branch should be used instead.

boc-uxp, standalone pale-moon, standalone basilisk tree will need a `platform` directory with UXP tree in `custom-platform` branch.

and hbl-uxp will need a `mozilla` directory and `platform` directory with UXP tree in `custom-platform` branch, it is better to create a symbolic-link to link both directory to same folder outside of their tree, like:

C:\devel\icedove-uxp> mklink /d mozilla ..\UXP-platform
symbolic link created for mozilla <<===>> ..\UXP-platform
C:\devel\icedove-uxp> mklink /d platform ..\UXP-platform
symbolic link created for platform <<===>> ..\UXP-platform

and for building iceape-uxp, it should be named as "suite" and placed inside icedove-uxp tree.

2 hours ago, ClassicNick said:

I thought it had something to do with that, but I wasn't sure. How much RAM does linking xul.dll on New Moon 27.10.0 take? In my experience, linking xul.dll on New Moon 26.5.0 takes slightly more than 1.3 GB RAM.

about 3.7GB

Edited by roytam1

1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

about 3.7GB

Thanks for the info even though it's disappointing to me. Does that mean there is no reason for me to try building New Moon 27 or 28 on 32-bit Windows XP? By the way, I'm not sure how to get configure in UXP to work with the Windows 7 SDK.

17 hours ago, ClassicNick said:

Why is an x64 OS required?

Not absolutely required, you can build on winxp with mingw.

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

linking xul.dll will use about 6GB of memory

Though can build on 4gb ram pc, by the way building av1 decoder with x86msvc is buggy and consume more memory.